Two WV bunkers

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2003
      Thanks to the research efforts of a list member in West Virginia (whom I'm
      quoting in part below), here's the known information about two hardened Cold
      War-era communications facilites in the eastern part of the state. Both
      sites are now empty and owned by the local government, and were
      scheduled to be demolished this month by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

      (1) Jefferson County Transmitter Site, in South Jefferson Park near Summit
      Point (N39-15-34, W77-58-33).

      (2) Jefferson County Receiver Site, in a county industrial park near Bardane
      (N39-21-02, W77-52-17).

      Both properties were purchased by DOD in 1960 and declared surplus in 1974.

      The transmitter bunker is described as having a 12-foot deep height (ceiling
      to floor) and underground dimensions of 45 feet by 65 feet. The bunker is
      believed to be covered by an average of 3 feet of dirt. The entrance is 9
      feet high, 28 feet long, with 9-foot thick sloped end walls. It is
      accompanied by 11 concrete antenna foundations. Not much info is included
      in the documents about the Receiver Site.

      The antenna foundations, the two-site configuration and the names, suggests
      that the facilities were HF (high-frequency, or shortwave) radio stations.
      My initial guess is that they were remote comms outposts for Mount Weather.
      The existence of such installations has been mentioned from time to time by
      people in a position to know. The Tx and Rx sites are about 8 miles apart,
      and the midpoint of the line between them is about 17 miles almost due north
      of Mt. Weather.

      I've posted an area map at
      http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/JeffersonCoWV/map.html .

      I've spoken with the USACE Huntington District manager responsible for
      cleaning up the sites. He's currently updating the environmental reports
      (INPRs) on both sites. I've requested copies of the reports and will post
      them as soon as I get them. The manager said he may also be able to provide
      photographs.

      The USACE determined that the bunkers were used by the Army, but given the
      Army's involvement in early civilian CoG communications (i.e. the U.S. Army
      Interagency Communications Agency - USAICA ), that does not necessarily
      indicate a military mission for the sites.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2003
        This past Sunday, I visited the Jefferson County, WV transmitter and
        receiver sites. Photos of the transmitter site (near Summit Point) and a
        brief description are at:
        http://coldwardc.homestead.com/files/JeffersonCoWV/index.html

        The receiver site (near Bardane) is very similar; photos and further
        information coming soon.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2013
          The FUDS reference for these sites are:

          G03WV0070 - JEFFERSON CO TRANSMITTER summit point wv
          G03WV0067 - JEFFERSON COUNTY RECEIVER bardane wv

          No further details in the listings other than "Army" 1960-1970 timeline.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2013
            On 4/10/13 1:43 PM, OZOB99 wrote:
            > The FUDS reference for these sites are:
            >

            > G03WV0070 - JEFFERSON CO TRANSMITTER summit point wv
            > G03WV0067 - JEFFERSON COUNTY RECEIVER bardane wv
            >
            > No further details in the listings other than "Army" 1960-1970 timeline.

            Err... when quoting/referring to messages from the Neolithic era, a date or
            message # would help...

            #6756 [Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:10 pm ]