ADCAD-OWS

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2003
      Anyone recall a telegraph(teletype) network with this acronym(i think it's spelled right);about 1960's and weather related;i think it was
      AF or Navy.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
        > Anyone recall a telegraph(teletype) network with this acronym(i
        think it's spelled right);about 1960's and weather related;i think it
        was
        > AF or Navy.

        I have found out the "OWS" is Operational Weather Squadron.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2011
          I finally got an answer on this some time ago from a person involved but forgot to post it:

          "ADCAD was a 100wpm teletype data collection and distribution system developed by the Future Systems Division, U.S.A.F. Communications Service. It was designed to provide ground weather conditions for fighter aircraft unable to return to their home base because of bad local weather that would prevent their safe landing. The system used the 82B1 teletype switching system to provide immediate weather data over eight circuits that connected all domestic USAF bases.
          Data was collected on a 32 character per line transmitter that provided weather symbols and alphanumeric information with 32 thumb wheel switches.
          OWS was a follow-up system that further distributed data from each of the eight basic circuits to the other circuits nationwide.
          The system was installed at Tinker AFB, Oklahoma in early 1961.
          The combined systems were later upgraded/replaced by what is now used by AWS.
          I was the project engineer for this task which was brought to AACS by the Tactical Air Command who could not wait for the 433L project team to get organized after two years of "studying" the problem."