Re: NPA+11XXX and other internal network things

  • wadsworth208
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, doug humphrey <doug@j...> wrote:
      > The discussion of this reminds me of some cold war
      > comms related pointers as well.
      > To the world of phone users outside of the "official"
      > world, the slang term for such routings was just "inwards"
      > since calls between operators were reffered to as inwards.
      > The ability to dial these numbers from subscriber loops
      > simply did not exist, at least in theory, but there were in
      > fact exchanges where normal phone customers could
      > dial these numbers and have their calls completed. There
      > has been much speculation WHY that is the case, but I
      > have never heard an official reason given.
      > For example, White Plains was just "912 121 1212" from
      > a subscriber phone (the last 4D were just needed to fill
      > out the register since it was a #5 crunch bar) TSPS would
      > be 914 121 (that is, a live operator) while 914 092 (I might
      > be off by a number there) would get the "international
      > sender" which would respond to MF (like a TSPS or a
      > blue box would generate) for international call setup.
      > The coldwar comms connection was that there were a
      > selection of sensitive defense operations that were
      > reachable via these codes; since this "internal" network
      > was viewed as pretty secure, when a call came in on
      > those lines it was accorded much believability and
      > seldom questioned too hard.
      > Of course you could also get to all of the test boards,
      > CNA and lots of other usable things - and if you could
      > not dial it yourself, you would hook up to a real operator
      > and have her do it for you (there seemed to be very few
      > male operators in those days)
      > subscriber> dialing 914 121 1212
      > ring
      > operator> "White Plains TSPS"
      > subscriber> "white plains, this is Baltimore TSPS, we are having
      > trouble,
      > can you route a call please?"
      > operator>"no problem Baltimore - what is the number"
      > subscriber>"blah blah blah(numbers deleted)
      > ring
      > destination>"Hello - Tel Aviv in the wee hours. How can I route
      > call"
      > there were a LOT of government things on there - in a few area
      > nearly 50% of the numbers in NPA 0XX and NPA 1XX turned up
      > of interest.
      > Many of the sites that we discuss here on this list were in fact
      > reachable via
      > this method. I don't know anything about why they were or were
      > etc.
      > since when this was happening nobody came to my high-school and gave
      > any talks about that ;-) But with hindsight, it surely seems this
      > able to
      > get to a lot of places, which makes sense in light of the way there
      > really
      > only one network, the Bell System.....
      > CCIS (and then SS7) clearly put an end to most (if not all) of
      this -
      > another obscure
      > capability lost to the progress of science and technology. Those
      > the days ;-)
> [...]

      I was never aware of the 914 121 2121 call capabiliy. But then you
      say you reached the WP inward operator. Someting that was reachable
      by dialing 914+121 from my position. Note. Not all locations were
      reachable by dialing NPA+121. Some locations needed special operator
      routings. For example. to reach Miami inward one hadto dial 305+-
      72+121. dialing 305+121 got you some other 305 NPA inward position.

      As I stated in another reply, all AT&T IOC's had inward positions
      that were reached by dialng 151. For some strange reason, there were
      inward recording trunks that a local customer could dial to reach the
      OVS boards on the 5th floor at 32AOTa (IOC). 800+880-1212. Another
      routing, 212+11+284, was used as an NY IOC inward dial code by
      overseas operators to reach NY. A friend of mine got to know an
      operator from Europe who would callin on 11+284 for transit calls. He
      latter flew & met her.

      There were ways to reach the overseas r=tandem trunks from the
      domestic side by dialing a OVS machine code along with the NPA of
      wherethe machine was located.

      914+181 White Plains 2
      212+182 NY2
      412+183 Pittsburg
      303+184 Denver
      904+185 Jacksonville (?)
      415+186 Oakland (?)
      212+188 NY10
      There was no OVS machine in Springfield, Mass. Direct trunks from NY.

      To call a particular country, you had to know if that country was a
      single IOC gateway, or a regionalized gateway country. This
      information was needed so the correct OVS tandem was picked used.

      To call Tokyo, back in those days for example, one would KP the
      181+183 (NY2) route, wait for second sender. The second sender would
      be represented by a momentary off hook/on hook supervison (Wink),
      followed by a steady low frequency level audible tone.

      When you saw the wink & heard the tone, you would then press your KP
      once again (Double KP), punch in your numbers (081+1+#), and hit the
      ST key. This calling capability was available from any domestic US
      operator toll board, or test board in the mid 1970's.

      Interesting note from back then. To reach the information operator,
      an operator would dial 131, NPA+131, or NPA+Special 3 digit
      routing+131. 131 information operators also were used to verify coin
      telephone numbers. to reach the coin collection operator, or to
      verify a number was not a coin on a sent paid call, the operator
      routing was 11+501, NPA+11+151 or NPA+Special routing+11+501. I
      forget the 11+ routing number to reach the confence or VHF marine