Re: Formal Organization

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      I just realized that I omitted a key element in my previous message, namely,
      soliciting the comments of group members regarding the list of topics I
      included. I'm thinking that, by identifying the topics which we've shown an
      interest in over the years, we'll be on our way to defining the goals of our
      proposed organization.

      Anyway, that's just my idea of how to approach the task - other opinions
      would be most welcome.

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2006
        A few years ago, we occasionally discussed the possibility of establishing a formal nationwide (or
        worldwide) organization dedicated to preservation, documentation and education related to Cold
        War-era infrastructure. Since our list's membership has grown dramatically since then, I thought it
        might be worthwhile to bring up that topic again.

        To start things off, I'd like to suggest that, for many aspects of field of research, our best
        option might be to work through existing groups and to concentrate our efforts at the local level,
        while informally coordinating and supporting each other through this list. Doing so would help us
        avoid the complexities and expenses of managing a large organization whose membership would be very
        diverse in terms of location and areas of interest.

        While I don't think there's any existing organization whose mission encompasses everything we're
        interested in, there *are* many groups whose scope includes one or more facets of those interests.

        For example, the Recent Past Preservation Network (http://www.recentpast.org/) is dedicated to
        documenting and saving those relatively modern buildings and other structures which are often
        overlooked by the architectural preservation community due to their perceived lack of importance.
        The RPPN's work explicitly includes several categories of structures interesting to us; namely, Cold
        War military and aerospace sites, radio, TV and telephone facilities, and communications towers.
        Membership is only $15/year, and the group has (and is seeking) state-level coordinators who would
        be excellent contacts.

        Another option is to work with local historical societies. My impression, at least here in the
        east, is that many of these organizations tend to focus on the 19th century and are often not aware
        of significant, more recent places and events in their areas. List members might consider offering
        to write an article for their society's newsletter, or giving a talk at their meeting. Almost every
        locality has *something* related to Cold War communications; even a simple AT&T repeater hut or
        microwave tower could be quite interesting to people who don't know its place in the nationwide
        network, or the vast differences between the telecom technologies of the Cold War period and today.

        Albert
      • Steve Kudlak
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2006
          I anot too thrilled with all of this. Due to uinforeseen genetic mishaps
          ZI am disabled and have a low income. There are a wghole list of things
          things I would like to join which are "only $15.00 to $25.00" to me this
          prohibitive in cost. There is a neat arts group that used to be $5.00'yr
          which was affordable and is now $25.00/yr. I might someday be able to
          join it as it does lots of useful things. In my view local historical
          socities are in my experience kind of a waste. They are prettyh parochial
          and limited in scope. So overall I don'rt think these things are worth the
          effort.

          Recent Past Preservation Network maybe an exception and it looks sorta
          neat. It would be nice to gather people who like Modernist Atchitecture
          and think it is neat and should be preserved from boring things prposed by
          the like of Prince Charles in the UK and his sickeningly brning idea of
          what quaint village life should be.\

          Amyway I have my doubts about all of this. There is already a media and
          media and communication mechanisms at hand which allow to jump over the
          miles and meet people one would not normally meet, but as far as
          shifting to that as a primary mechanism I'd say no it's not weorth it.

          Have Fun,
          Sends Steve

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
            > I anot too thrilled with all of this. Due to uinforeseen genetic mishaps
            > ZI am disabled and have a low income. There are a wghole list of things
            > things I would like to join which are "only $15.00 to $25.00" to me this
            > prohibitive in cost. There is a neat arts group that used to be $5.00'yr
            > which was affordable and is now $25.00/yr. I might someday be able to
            > join it as it does lots of useful things.

            Working in the retail sector, believe me, I understand the concept of "low income" and its painful
            effect on one's lifestyle!

            I named those organizations simply to bring them to the attention of list members who might be have
            the interest and resources to participate, and who otherwise might not know about them. I didn't
            intend to suggest that any other group should replace this list as the primary means of coordinating
            preservation and education efforts in the field of Cold War infrastructure; indeed, with our
            membership currently at 930, I can't think of a *better* place to accomplish that mission.

            > In my view local historical
            > socities are in my experience kind of a waste. They are prettyh parochial
            > and limited in scope. So overall I don'rt think these things are worth the
            > effort.

            Unfortunately, in general I do have to agree with you on that. But I'm sure (at least I hope) there
            are exceptions, and perhaps there are other groups that would take an interest in their local Cold
            War history if someone made the effort to educate them. That's where we might be able to help.

            > Recent Past Preservation Network maybe an exception and it looks sorta
            > neat. It would be nice to gather people who like Modernist Atchitecture
            > and think it is neat and should be preserved from boring things prposed by
            > the like of Prince Charles in the UK and his sickeningly brning idea of
            > what quaint village life should be.\

            Attn: Paul Rosa - I think HRH is gonna need a stealth tower design suitable for a quaint English
            village. :)

            > Amyway I have my doubts about all of this. There is already a media and
            > media and communication mechanisms at hand which allow to jump over the
            > miles and meet people one would not normally meet, but as far as
            > shifting to that as a primary mechanism I'd say no it's not weorth it.

            I agree completely! My suggestion is that we continue to communicate and coordinate our efforts
            through this list as our official forum, but that we also increase our "leverage" by working through
            existing organizations, where appropriate, to the mutual benefit of both groups.