Wolf Run Research Station, VA

  • MONIX
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
      I think Research Station should be quite accurate.

      All of the ASA units in Viet-Nam were called Radio Research Units.

      I was ASA from 1966-1970

      MONIX

      And if you did not see Breaking The Code last night on PBS, it was a great
      show on the Enigma Machine, maybe you can catch it later.

      ____________________
      Given the somewhat spooky nature of the ASA, we should probably not put too
      much faith in the title "Research Station" being an accurate description of
      the site's function.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
        Thanks for the info...very interesting. Any idea what ASA might have been
        doing at Wolf Run? Looks like a very isolated area.

        ...Albert

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
          Yes, it was really fascinating. I'm glad they gave the story two full
          hours. I was especially interested in the "Colossus" computer - it's an
          incredible shame that all of those machines *and* their plans were
          intentionally destroyed!

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
            I cannot remember the exact wording but it was somthing like doing research
            on electromagnectic phenomenon and providing communications support to the
            US Army.

            From: Albert LaFrance <ALaFrance@...>

          • Hooligan@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
              > From: "MONIX" <monix@...>
              >
              > I cannot remember the exact wording but it was somthing like doing research
              > on electromagnectic phenomenon and providing communications support to the
              > US Army.

              So in other words, you don't know, or don't want to say...

              ASA has some alumni groups, & I'm in the process of contacting them to
              see if any of them have some useful historical info on the site, and might
              the INSCOM Command Historian at Ft Huachuca.

              I'll report my findings back to this list.

              Tim
              Detroit, Michigan
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
                Thanks for the info...

                Do you think it was research in the sense of developing new science and
                technology, or did the term "research" also apply to actual SIGINT
                operations and other intelligence-collection activities?

                ...Albert

                Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com
                >From: "MONIX" <monix@...>
                >
                >I cannot remember the exact wording but it was somthing like doing
                research
                >on electromagnectic phenomenon and providing communications support to the
                >US Army.
              • MONIX
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 21, 1999
                  Well both would be a good guess.