Wolf Run Research Station, VA

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
      USACE Norfolk District FUDS # C03VA0167
      Wolf Run Research Station, George Washington National Forest
      Rockingham and Augusta counties, VA

      The site was used by the former Army Security Agency from August 1968
      through February 1974. There's no indication of its purpose, and no
      evidence of the ASA activity remains.

      The site is located on Wolf Run, W of Harrisonburg, VA. It's about 6 mi.
      from WV and 2/3 mi. S of VA Rt. 924. The approximate coordinates,
      determined from a DeLorme Street Atlas 5 map, are N38-26-32, W79-08-42.

      It may or may not be significant that the site is approximately 8 mi. ESE
      of Naval Security Group Activity Sugar Grove [WV].

      Given the somewhat spooky nature of the ASA, we should probably not put too
      much faith in the title "Research Station" being an accurate description of
      the site's function.

      ...Albert
    • MONIX
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
        I think Research Station should be quite accurate.

        All of the ASA units in Viet-Nam were called Radio Research Units.

        I was ASA from 1966-1970

        MONIX

        And if you did not see Breaking The Code last night on PBS, it was a great
        show on the Enigma Machine, maybe you can catch it later.

        ____________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
          Thanks for the info...very interesting. Any idea what ASA might have been
          doing at Wolf Run? Looks like a very isolated area.

          ...Albert

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
            Yes, it was really fascinating. I'm glad they gave the story two full
            hours. I was especially interested in the "Colossus" computer - it's an
            incredible shame that all of those machines *and* their plans were
            intentionally destroyed!

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
              I cannot remember the exact wording but it was somthing like doing research
              on electromagnectic phenomenon and providing communications support to the
              US Army.

              From: Albert LaFrance <ALaFrance@...>

            • Hooligan@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
                > From: "MONIX" <monix@...>
                >
                > I cannot remember the exact wording but it was somthing like doing research
                > on electromagnectic phenomenon and providing communications support to the
                > US Army.

                So in other words, you don't know, or don't want to say...

                ASA has some alumni groups, & I'm in the process of contacting them to
                see if any of them have some useful historical info on the site, and might
                the INSCOM Command Historian at Ft Huachuca.

                I'll report my findings back to this list.

                Tim
                Detroit, Michigan
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 20, 1999
                  Thanks for the info...

                  Do you think it was research in the sense of developing new science and
                  technology, or did the term "research" also apply to actual SIGINT
                  operations and other intelligence-collection activities?

                  ...Albert

                  Message text written by INTERNET:coldwarcomms@onelist.com
                  >From: "MONIX" <monix@...>
                  >
                  >I cannot remember the exact wording but it was somthing like doing
                  research
                  >on electromagnectic phenomenon and providing communications support to the
                  >US Army.
                • MONIX
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 21, 1999
                    Well both would be a good guess.