Tower Searches

  • David Lesher
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      I'm searching the FCC databases for an {alleged microwave} tower
      north of Covelo, CA zip 95428. It's in the Tribal lands.

      I've tried the FCC ARS {Antenna/tower} search and the license
      databases to no avail. From what I read not all towers need
      registration, but I'm hard-pressed to think this one would escape
      the tower rules.

      I've got a query out for more details, but meanwhile, are there
      other places to look?

    • Dave Stuart
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
        If there are no lights on the tower, it most likely will not be registered.
        The FAA requires that any tower above 200' above ground level (AGL) is
        lighted (lit?) and registered. If the tower is registered, there will be a
        placard of some sort that can be seen from public accessible area near the
        tower that bears the tower registration number.

        >I've tried the FCC ARS {Antenna/tower} search and the license
        >databases to no avail. From what I read not all towers need
        >registration, but I'm hard-pressed to think this one would escape
        >the tower rules.
      • pwood78
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Dave Stuart <dstuart@n...> wrote:
          > If there are no lights on the tower, it most likely will not be
          > registered. The FAA requires that any tower above 200' above ground
          > level (AGL) is lighted (lit?) and registered. If the tower is
          > registered, there will be a placard of some sort that can be seen
          > from public accessible area near the tower that bears the tower
          > registration number.

          Not nessecarily true. I have seen many FAA microwave sites, tall and
          small that have faded red paint and active strobe lighting that are
          not registered with the FCC. Ditto for many military antenna
          structures. I can name two five that are not registered. The box
          towers in the DC area seem to be an extreme exception.

          Also many times the ASR sigh is not visible from a public accessable
          place. I think it has been said it would ''prefered'' to be
          accessable to the public but must be at the base of the structure.
          Also many owners don't care or forget. AT&T Wireless gets many 10k
          fines for this outwest.

          -
          Parris Wood
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2003
            Some sad news in that regard: on Sunday I noticed that the Site E tower at
            Tysons Corner - originally a major communications hub for the AJCC dating
            back to the early 1950s - now has a white strobe on top. Apparently that's
            Fort Myer's "solution" to the tower's badly deteriorated red and white
            paint.

            A few years ago, I asked a maintenance person at Myer if they had any plans
            to repaint the tower, which even then had many areas of peeling paint. She
            said they were going to let a contract that summer, but of course it never
            happened. The building and grounds are likewise in poor condition; note my
            earlier report of a rotten wood light pole crashing to the ground.

            > Not nessecarily true. I have seen many FAA microwave sites, tall and
            > small that have faded red paint and active strobe lighting that are
            > not registered with the FCC. Ditto for many military antenna
            > structures. I can name two five that are not registered. The box
            > towers in the DC area seem to be an extreme exception.
            <SNIP>
          • Dave Stuart
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 8, 2003
              I apologize. You do have a very good point. I was speaking from the
              perspective of a broadcaster that one of the things that makes us REALLY
              nervous is FCC inspections. Tower structure stuff is one of their BIG
              things since it is easy to make an objective judgment about the quality of
              the tower. Also, it is easy for the FCC to inspect a tower without the
              broadcaster ever knowing/being there.