Re: AT&T IP Backbone map

  • Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 1999
      From what I know, AT&T does not generally use overhead fiber in
      its intercity plant. A few years ago I had lunch with a vice
      president from AT&T's network management center in Conyers, GA
      and we discussed fiber survivability. The majority of their fiber at
      that time was plowed into the railbed along many major rail routes,
      including the Northeast Corridor and the Conrail main lines. There
      was concern at that time because MCI had just signed for right of
      way along the same routes, , and AT&T was worried that if their
      contractors had been sloppy in plowing their cables in, they could
      protrude into the space to be used by MCI. In the areas of PA and
      NJ where I worked for Bell Atlantic, we sometimes shared conduit
      plant with AT&T fiber. At least in the northeast, I would surmise
      that AT&T's fiber is all either buried or underground (the distinction
      is that buried fiber has the cable directly in contact with the ground,
      and that underground fiber(or cable) is in a conduit run)

      .
      Mike Jacobs, N3YAV
      Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
      Penn State University
      State College, PA
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 1999
        Several sources indicated the original fiber in the northeast was laid in the
        L carrier NY to Boston route. I can personally verify the MA portion.