Program/Project 279

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
      The Bell System Practice (408-441-100, Issue C, Feb. 1966) describing the
      USAF Post-Attack Command and Control System communications network lists the
      destinations which can be reached by two-digit Touch-Tone numbers. All have
      straightforward names representing known military and AT&T entities, except
      for one identified only as "Program 279" and "Project 279".

      I'm wondering, those names possibly refer to the "Project Office" stations
      (Leesburg 5, etc.)?

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2003
        Mystery solved!

        Another researcher checked on:
        http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/projects.html

        and found:

        279L - MER-6A rocket: ERCS (Emergency Rocket Communications System) on
        XRM-91 (SLV-1) Blue Scout Junior

        He notes that it makes sense that PACCS would have a need to contact ERCS
        since it is a "last ditch" communication
        system.