AT&T "Branch" again?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2003
      We've previously discussed occurrences of the name "Branch No. 1, VA" in
      AT&T documents. The absence of a geographic location of that name suggests
      it might be a code for a classified site like Mount Weather.

      In a project file from the Randallstown maintenance group, there's a list of
      Eaatern Area K-carrier (wire-pair carrier) routes to be retired or sold in
      1972-1974. The cables are named by their two terminal cities and states,
      and the cable ID letter; e.g:
      NEWYRK NY - PHILAD PA F

      But out of the 69 routes in the list, there's one exception to the above
      format. It's identified only as:
      SHARON PA - BRANCH

      Sharon is in western PA, about 13 mi. NE of Youngstown, OH.

      I'm not certain that "Branch" even refers to a place; it might simply mean a
      branch off a cable route. But the entry was unusual enough that I thought
      the information should be posted in case it provides a clue to someone.

      Reference: Folder labeled "EA-33783 / 18003 / BALT #5 / RETIRE K CXR"

      Albert
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2003

        > SHARON PA - BRANCH
        >
        > Sharon is in western PA, about 13 mi. NE of Youngstown, OH.

        Where is the OPM records center, the one in the old mine?
        ?Boyas?

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2003
          That's the Iron Mountain storage facility near Boyers, PA, about 32 mi. SE
          of Sharon.

          A Jan. 1970 route map shows that Sharon was not directly on a K-carrier
          route, but rather was served by an open-wire line going east to Mercer,where
          it joined with a K-carrier spur line. So I'm now inclined to think that the
          "Branch" named in the cable list meant simply a branch off a cable route,
          rather than a location. And the fact that Sharon was linked by open-wire
          line would explain the absence of a cable ID letter.