Re: [coldwarcomms] Coax Rights-of-Way

  • Christopher Ness
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2003
      On Wednesday 18 June 2003 10:46 pm, Brady Alleman wrote:

      > On the subject of L3 right-of-ways, how wide were they normally
      > cleared? And how did they traverse streams and rivers?

      They crossed the Delaware River between Stockton NJ and (just North of) Centre
      Bridge PA by having a company named Dravo bury three cables under the floor
      of the river. There were normally two L3I cables between Airmont and
      Pottstown, but between Stocton and the vault in "Johnson's orchard" there
      were three armoured in about 3/16 steel wiresand hemp then covered with
      pitch. I observed the splicing in the vault, and they split the wiring so
      that all three cables had active and spare lines, and the center cable had
      lines from both of the main lines.
      Dravo assembled a 60'x20' barge and several smaller craft. I believe it was
      brought in by train to Stockton which still had active rail in 1959/60 when
      this occured, and then trucked it down to the river side. They put a large
      (80'?) and a small dredge (30'?)on the barge and ran an aerial cable across
      the river (abt 1000') for the barge to winch itself along. The barge had four
      pipe legs about 2 ft in diameter that went through wells in hull.

      In http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp?t=1&s=10&x=2506&y=22364&z=18&w=2
      you can see the crossing. The river is shallow and has a rapids at this
      point. The crossing was between the two obvious lines across the river which
      are probably spoils from the dredging. On either side of the river were the
      obligatory 8'x5' "Cable crossing Do not anchor" signs. If you click down to
      the next lower terraserver image, the vault would be in ths spot in the
      orchard on the third row from the river missing a tree. (BTW my house was not
      the big white spot immediately to the right of the orchard, but the square
      white spot just next to it.)

      The long lines crew that did the splicing in the vault was from Arkansas and
      gave me a one foot piece of L3I which I wish I still had. Can you image a
      modern work crew of any kind allowing a 14-year-old kid to go down into a
      vault and watch them work? Much less soldering in a vault with an iron
      heated with a blow torch and pouring molten lead into a splicing cast?
      Probably has a lot to do with why I am the way I am today.
      --
      Chris Ness
      mailto:cness.not4spam@... All jobs are equally easy to