Re: Digest Number 150

  • Scott Peterson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
      Hello from El Paso Texas!
    • Dave Emery
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
        On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:36:36PM -0600, Ryan C Blake wrote:
        > From: Ryan C Blake <ema432@...>
        >
        > Mr. Emery,
        >
        > If you don't mind my asking, what is your professional background?

        I'm an EE who has done both hardware and software development in
        the computer OS, digital hardware architecture and WAN and LAN
        networking areas. I worked as one of the software acolytes of an
        independantly designed and coded Unix kernel in the 80s's, architected
        and designed a couple of cpu boards on which the kernel ran, and then
        served as the digital architect of a pioneering AMD-29K risc based
        wire speed bridge/router for the LAN/WAN world - I also did some
        firmware work on the bridge/router and led a hardware team that
        produced a couple of new versions. My title during much of
        this was Senior Technical Consultant.

        RF and satellite communications has been a long term hobby
        interest of mine - I'm a ham and very long term radio listener, but
        aside from some occasional consulting I've not been professionally
        employed in the wireless industry.

        > >From your command of the language and the "DIE Consulting" note
        > at the end of your message, you sound like a retiree (I do not mean
        > to offend you in any way... I wish I was retired!)

        I'm rather intrigued that my command of language (or lack
        thereof) makes me seem old enough to be retired. Granted, modern
        education is pretty mediocre, but still...

        Your guess that I might be retired is semi-accurate. I am
        married to a physician who is in quite lucrative (at least as
        far as such goes in the age of HMOs) practice as a pathologist
        in Beverely Mass and we have two children, one almost 5 and one
        15. I have chosen to stay home and be a daddy/nanny for my 5 year
        old son since he was born. This has made it much easier for my
        wife, and free of economic necessity it hasn't be a requirement
        that I work the usual 50-60 hour and weekends pace that I did
        while she was in medical school and residency.

        I am only 50, however, and am not convinced that I want
        to stay inactive for the rest of my life. So if I found the right
        R&D or even pure R niche in which to resume my career I probably
        am ready to do so as my son is now in pre-school and the intensity
        of the commitment less.

        > Your technical knowledge of both past and present technique sounds
        > quite extensive.

        I'm a student of communications technology, and as a result
        of my listening over the years have had quite an activist interest
        in communications security and privacy issues, especially the
        encryption debate. This interest in security has led to examination
        and research of rf security over the years and is a strong
        professional interest at the moment.

        --
        Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
        PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
          On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:31:36PM -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
          > From: Dave Emery <die@...>
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:36:36PM -0600, Ryan C Blake wrote:
          > > From: Ryan C Blake <ema432@...>
          > >
          > > Mr. Emery,
          > >
          > > If you don't mind my asking, what is your professional background?
          >
          > I'm an EE who has done both hardware and software development in
          > the computer OS, digital hardware architecture and WAN and LAN
          > networking areas.

          Oh dear...

          My sincere apologies to the list... I carelessly replied to
          what I thought was a personally addressed off-list private email
          question and hastily sent out the answer without checking who
          it was going to. I am most embarrassed to have my little bit
          of puffery go out to who knows who on coldwarcomms... I guess
          everyone on the list now knows more about me than they wanted to
          or ever thought they would...