Re: Digest Number 150

  • Ryan C Blake
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
      Mr. Emery,

      If you don't mind my asking, what is your professional background?
      From your command of the language and the "DIE Consulting" note
      at the end of your message, you sound like a retiree (I do not mean
      to offend you in any way... I wish I was retired!)

      Your technical knowledge of both past and present technique sounds
      quite extensive.

      73,

      Ryan Blake, KD4RIX
    • Scott Peterson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
        Hello from El Paso Texas!
      • Dave Emery
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
          On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:36:36PM -0600, Ryan C Blake wrote:
          > From: Ryan C Blake <ema432@...>
          >
          > Mr. Emery,
          >
          > If you don't mind my asking, what is your professional background?

          I'm an EE who has done both hardware and software development in
          the computer OS, digital hardware architecture and WAN and LAN
          networking areas. I worked as one of the software acolytes of an
          independantly designed and coded Unix kernel in the 80s's, architected
          and designed a couple of cpu boards on which the kernel ran, and then
          served as the digital architect of a pioneering AMD-29K risc based
          wire speed bridge/router for the LAN/WAN world - I also did some
          firmware work on the bridge/router and led a hardware team that
          produced a couple of new versions. My title during much of
          this was Senior Technical Consultant.

          RF and satellite communications has been a long term hobby
          interest of mine - I'm a ham and very long term radio listener, but
          aside from some occasional consulting I've not been professionally
          employed in the wireless industry.

          > >From your command of the language and the "DIE Consulting" note
          > at the end of your message, you sound like a retiree (I do not mean
          > to offend you in any way... I wish I was retired!)

          I'm rather intrigued that my command of language (or lack
          thereof) makes me seem old enough to be retired. Granted, modern
          education is pretty mediocre, but still...

          Your guess that I might be retired is semi-accurate. I am
          married to a physician who is in quite lucrative (at least as
          far as such goes in the age of HMOs) practice as a pathologist
          in Beverely Mass and we have two children, one almost 5 and one
          15. I have chosen to stay home and be a daddy/nanny for my 5 year
          old son since he was born. This has made it much easier for my
          wife, and free of economic necessity it hasn't be a requirement
          that I work the usual 50-60 hour and weekends pace that I did
          while she was in medical school and residency.

          I am only 50, however, and am not convinced that I want
          to stay inactive for the rest of my life. So if I found the right
          R&D or even pure R niche in which to resume my career I probably
          am ready to do so as my son is now in pre-school and the intensity
          of the commitment less.

          > Your technical knowledge of both past and present technique sounds
          > quite extensive.

          I'm a student of communications technology, and as a result
          of my listening over the years have had quite an activist interest
          in communications security and privacy issues, especially the
          encryption debate. This interest in security has led to examination
          and research of rf security over the years and is a strong
          professional interest at the moment.

          --
          Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
          PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 1999
            On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 05:31:36PM -0500, Dave Emery wrote:
            > From: Dave Emery <die@...>
            >
            > On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:36:36PM -0600, Ryan C Blake wrote:
            > > From: Ryan C Blake <ema432@...>
            > >
            > > Mr. Emery,
            > >
            > > If you don't mind my asking, what is your professional background?
            >
            > I'm an EE who has done both hardware and software development in
            > the computer OS, digital hardware architecture and WAN and LAN
            > networking areas.

            Oh dear...

            My sincere apologies to the list... I carelessly replied to
            what I thought was a personally addressed off-list private email
            question and hastily sent out the answer without checking who
            it was going to. I am most embarrassed to have my little bit
            of puffery go out to who knows who on coldwarcomms... I guess
            everyone on the list now knows more about me than they wanted to
            or ever thought they would...