Delay Lens Antenna Update

  • s92187
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2003
      Hello All:

      A few months back I posted an account on how we recovered a delay
      lens antenna from an AT&T site in Washington state, I thought I'd
      give you an update on what we've done with the antenna since then.

      Unlike the KS-15676 horn antenna, which is delivered to a repeater
      site as a one piece, completely welded assembly, the delay lens
      antennas were originally shipped to repeater sites disassembled and
      packed into cartons. Generally the same contractors that performed
      construction of the tower would assemble and install the antennas.
      When we were at Clyde, WA back in February, we reversed the assembly
      procedure, basically removing all of the 300+ bolts that hold the
      antenna together. When that was done, we ended up with a stack of
      flat aluminum panels that we easily loaded into the truck we had.

      We brought the pieces back to one of the AT&T sites we now own, since
      then we have been cleaning up the antenna parts in preparation to re-
      assembly. All of the assembly joints of the antenna were loaded with
      an electrically conductive, nasty smelling caulk, in addition,
      silicone caulk had been applied over the other caulk to help make the
      antenna weatherproof. We have been stripping off all of the old
      caulking on each piece of the antenna, we now have enough cleaned
      pieces to start re-assembling the antenna. I just posted 4 photos in
      the folder in the Photos section labeled "delay lens antenna", two
      photos show the ID tags on the antenna and mounting base, two more
      photos show the start of assembly of the lens housing section of the
      antenna. As we progress with this project, I'll post additional
      photos, I'm guessing it will be a number of weeks before the re-
      assembly is complete. In addition to cleaning parts, I still have to
      fabricate several brackets and other parts that were missing from the
      antenna when we picked it up.

      Terry Michaels