Re: Web site update

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
      Thanks, that *is* interesting...

      I wonder how many operator positions they had at Monrovia.

      I don't recall exactly how big the Monrovia parking lot is. I'm thinking
      roughly the size of the main lot at Dranesville; maybe 50 cars? That's not
      too much space, especially if the staff worked on non-staggered shifts.
      When you add in the other two lots, Dranesville has way more parking than
      Monrovia.

      One possibility (something I'll look into on my next visit) is that there
      might have been a second lot at Monrovia, but it was sold off after the
      operators left or mission changes reduced staffing needs. I recall some
      houses just west of the facility, which might be on that land.

      The ESS upgrade would seem like a logical time to relocate the operators.
      Maybe the space occupied by the operators was needed to house the 5ESS
      during the cut-over period.

      ...Albert

      >From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
      >
      >A little bit of AUTOVON trivia, Monrovia (as well as San Luis Obispo) were
      >the only AUTOVON
      >switches to have No. 5 Dial Service Assistance (5 DSA) switchboards.
      These
      >switchboards were
      >essentially the "O"perators for the AUTOVON system, providing: call
      >assistance, directory assistance, conference calls, transfer requests and
      >trouble reports. I have never been to Monrovia, but I would assume that
      >the site must have had additional parking and facilities for the AUTOVON
      >operators.
      >
      >Maybe someone knows when the operators moved to Drainsville? Maybe when
      >the 1ESS's were replaced by 5ESS's?
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
        FYI: The space required for a No. 5 ESS is about 20' by 40'.

        Not much compared to the No. 5 Crossbar and the 1ESS
        which took up much of one floor.

        Also consider most of the L Main stations had parking for
        only 10 or 20 cars.