Visual Alarm Indicator Operation

  • Brad Cobo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
      Group,

      I am in the processing of "reviving" a visual alarm indicator panel. This
      is basically a rectangular metal box with 4 incandescent bulbs (red, green,
      yellow, and white) representing the category of alarm, i.e. MJ, MN, SV, or
      GD. It is going to be mounted on the wall and powered up. A small circuit
      will reside inside the enclosure to turn the lamps on and off every few
      minutes.

      I considered turning these on and off in a completely random fashion, but
      then asked myself, would that be realistic? In practice, was there a
      sequence these lamps would follow? Could a MJ alarm be concurrent with a MN
      alarm? Could the GD lamp be on when a MJ or MN alarm was indicated, or
      would GD override the MJ and MN alarm indication? Could all 4 lamps be on
      at one time? Was the actual operating scheme essentially random?

      Making the lamps change state every few minutes according to a completely
      random pattern would be easy enough. Making them flash in a pattern that is
      historically accurate would be even more impressive.

      If anyone is interested, I will make the construction plans available once
      I get the flash scheme worked out.

      Brad Cobo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Brad Cobo <brad@c...> wrote:
        > Group,
        >
        > I am in the processing of "reviving" a visual alarm indicator
        panel. This
        > is basically a rectangular metal box with 4 incandescent bulbs
        (red, green,
        > yellow, and white) representing the category of alarm, i.e. MJ,
        MN, SV, or
        > GD. It is going to be mounted on the wall and powered up. A small
        circuit
        > will reside inside the enclosure to turn the lamps on and off every
        few
        > minutes.
        >
        > I considered turning these on and off in a completely random
        fashion, but
        > then asked myself, would that be realistic? In practice, was there
        > sequence these lamps would follow? Could a MJ alarm be concurrent
        with a MN
        > alarm? Could the GD lamp be on when a MJ or MN alarm was indicated,
        or
        > would GD override the MJ and MN alarm indication? Could all 4 lamps
        be on
        > at one time? Was the actual operating scheme essentially random?
        >
        > Making the lamps change state every few minutes according to a
        completely
        > random pattern would be easy enough. Making them flash in a pattern
        that is
        > historically accurate would be even more impressive.
        >
        > If anyone is interested, I will make the construction plans
        available once
        > I get the flash scheme worked out.
        >
        > Brad Cobo

        The events were random,with minor alarms most common;many majors
        occured with a related minor,a few majors occured without a related
        minor;alarms from a different source were supposed to override a GD
        or ACO.

        To be historically accurate there would often be an hour or more
        between alarms during the 8a-5p period, longer at night due to less
        activity;there could be days between major alarms.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
          > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Brad Cobo <brad@c...> wrote:
          > > Group,
          > >
          > > I am in the processing of "reviving" a visual alarm indicator
          > panel. This
          > > is basically a rectangular metal box with 4 incandescent bulbs
          > (red, green,
          > > yellow, and white) representing the category of alarm, i.e. MJ,
          > MN, SV, or
          > > GD. It is going to be mounted on the wall and powered up. A small
          > circuit
          > > will reside inside the enclosure to turn the lamps on and off
          every
          > few
          > > minutes.
          > >
          > > I considered turning these on and off in a completely random
          > fashion, but
          > > then asked myself, would that be realistic? In practice, was
          there
          > > sequence these lamps would follow? Could a MJ alarm be concurrent
          > with a MN
          > > alarm? Could the GD lamp be on when a MJ or MN alarm was
          indicated,
          > or
          > > would GD override the MJ and MN alarm indication? Could all 4
          lamps
          > be on
          > > at one time? Was the actual operating scheme essentially random?
          > >
          > > Making the lamps change state every few minutes according to a
          > completely
          > > random pattern would be easy enough. Making them flash in a
          pattern
          > that is
          > > historically accurate would be even more impressive.
          > >
          > > If anyone is interested, I will make the construction plans
          > available once
          > > I get the flash scheme worked out.
          > >
          > > Brad Cobo
          >
          > The events were random,with minor alarms most common;many majors
          > occured with a related minor,a few majors occured without a related
          > minor;alarms from a different source were supposed to override a GD
          > or ACO.
          >
          > To be historically accurate there would often be an hour or more
          > between alarms during the 8a-5p period, longer at night due to less
          > activity;there could be days between major alarms.

          Just realized i should have elaborated more on alarms:besides the
          ones mentioned here CO's had Power Failure alarms( a very loud bell)
          indicating a Battery Distributing Fuse Board or Power Room fuse had
          operated;Equipment Fire alarm(seperate from the building fire
          alarm),which was initiated by "fire wire"(a red cloth covered low
          melting point wire somewhat like solder)melting,it was strung along
          the tops of relay racks and distributing frames.It sometimes
          developed an open & was quite a hassle to find & fix it;X-Bar
          switching machines had submarine type Klaxon horns operated at 30 IPM
          (interruptions per minute) for major failures.

          While not an alarm as such,broadband restoration order wires/phones
          had an extremely loud 60 cycle AC buzzer for immediate attention.

          Emergency alternators had their own built in failure alarm signals as
          well as the office alarm system tied into it.