Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: Germantown, MD - Mt. Weather link

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2003
      I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a possible
      Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine a route
      between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via Hamilton and
      Lewistown:
      http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 3, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@w...>
        wrote:
        > I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a
        possible
        > Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine
        a route
        > between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via
        Hamilton and
        > Lewistown:
        > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
        >
        > Albert

        That seems to confirm a direct path, i don't think there was a tower
        there in the late 1960's, so if hardened it must have been
        ground embedded like the other hardened dishes; or maybe a dish on a
        building.
      • Mark Foster
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
          At 12:10 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
          >I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a possible
          >Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine a route
          >between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via Hamilton and
          >Lewistown:
          >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
          >
          >Albert

          The question is why they are being discontinued.

          If Mt WX has a phone system anything like CMC, which is well documented
          in Bell System's literature, it would have two microwave shots and two
          cable routes
          all four of which feed into a special switch which instantly replaced a bad or
          damaged circuit with a good circuit. This would account for some of the
          redundant
          connections among the outlying stations.

          The four? routes would be an east and west microwave and a north and
          south?(east?) cable.

          Given the time frame of the removal it wasn't because they were being
          replaced by fiber.
          Maybe hard times (lack of funding) for the agency?
        • Doug Humphrey
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003

            >Message: 7
            > Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:36:39 -0400
            > From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
            >Subject: Re: Re: Germantown, MD - Mt. Weather link
            >
            >At 12:10 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
            > >I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a possible
            > >Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine a route
            > >between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via Hamilton and
            > >Lewistown:
            > >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
            > >
            > >Albert
            > >

            >The question is why they are being discontinued.
            >
            >If Mt WX has a phone system anything like CMC, which is well documented
            >in Bell System's literature, it would have two microwave shots and two
            >cable routes
            >all four of which feed into a special switch which instantly replaced a bad or
            >damaged circuit with a good circuit. This would account for some of the
            >redundant
            >connections among the outlying stations.
            >
            >The four? routes would be an east and west microwave and a north and
            >south?(east?) cable.
            >
            >Given the time frame of the removal it wasn't because they were being
            >replaced by fiber.
            >Maybe hard times (lack of funding) for the agency?

            Change of mission is another possibility - it is likely that
            Mt. Weather is a multi-mission facility (I know that it is
            today, it is likely it was back then too) where there are multiple
            tenant agencies doing multiple missions. Communications facilities
            can be tied to the facility, or the agency/activity at the facility,
            or to a project within the agency/activity. If these circuits were
            for anything other than the facility as a whole, then they could
            have reached the end of the activity or project, it might have moved
            to another site (for example, an activity or project that was at Mt.
            Weather for a while, but then got its own bunker somewhere else and
            moved, so the commo followed it) or it got discontinued entirely
            and the commo simply ceased to exist.

            If you look at some of the records, it is clear that Mt. Weather serves
            many different customers, and is not monolithic, so you would expect
            to have more circuits provisioned in and out, and more change in the
            configurations over time.

            Doug
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2003
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:
              > At 12:10 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
              > >I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a
              possible
              > >Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to
              discontine a route
              > >between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via
              Hamilton and
              > >Lewistown:
              > >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
              > >
              > >Albert
              > >

              > The question is why they are being discontinued.
              >
              > If Mt WX has a phone system anything like CMC, which is well
              documented
              > in Bell System's literature, it would have two microwave shots and
              two
              > cable routes
              > all four of which feed into a special switch which instantly
              replaced a bad or
              > damaged circuit with a good circuit. This would account for some
              of the
              > redundant
              > connections among the outlying stations.
              >
              > The four? routes would be an east and west microwave and a north
              and
              > south?(east?) cable.

              Mt. Weather did'nt have,at least in the early years,the sophisticated
              ring routing,steel cable conduit,4 routes,etc that CMC had.

              > Given the time frame of the removal it wasn't because they were
              being
              > replaced by fiber.
              > Maybe hard times (lack of funding) for the agency?

              In addition to the previous post statement re: agency missions
              change,agencies change;some of these MG's were not fully loaded,maybe
              only 2-3 SG's were in service, and in this time frame 50KB wide band
              analog groups could be replaced by a DDS channel or T channel/line,or
              some of the services could have gone to satellite; thus freeing up
              bandwidth so circuit rearrangements would allow some multiplex
              sections to be discontinued.....and the radio routes were'nt being
              discontinued,only one of the radio channels out of 6 or 12 in each
              route was disc.
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 5 11:30 AM
                I found a Randallstown project file which confirms wideband data equipment
                at Germantown; it's from 1971, and specifies the removal of a LWM-6 modem,
                WLR-5 wideband loop repeater, and miscellaneous plug-in equipment.

                Ref: Randallstown folder titled "834034 / Germantown / DC203 / Remove
                Wideband"