Re: Upper Strasburg and Bedford-Harrisburg Coax Link

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@w...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      Link

      > > I've been identifying repeater huts on the Bedford-Harrisburg (PA)
      coax
      > > link. Does anyone have any information on the link? The
      repeaters seem
      > > to be 3-4 airmiles apart.
      >
      > The distance between coax repeaters suggests an L3 route, which had
      an
      > average four-mile repeater spacing. The L3 system, introduced in
      1953,
      > carried 1860 frequency-division-multiplexed one-way voice channels
      on a
      > single coaxial conductor. Also, I think most of the L3 routes ran
      directly
      > downtown-to-downtown, while the L4 and L5 cables which came later
      were
      > "avoidance routed" around major cities, with the cities being served
      by spur
      > lines from hardened main stations.
      >
      > > Also, maps of the area near Upper Strasburg, PA seem inconsistent.
      > > Today I visited a long lines building near Upper Strasburg, across
      the
      > > road from Letterkenny Army Depot. Some maps seem to indicate that
      the
      > > Bedford-Harrsiburg link went through this building, others do not.
      What
      > > seems most consistent is that Upper Strasburg was used as a
      wire-pair
      > > carrier connection point. Also, one map I saw had a link from
      Clark's
      > > Knob to Letterkenny. Does anyone have any details with how
      Letterkenny
      > > connected with the Long Lines system?
      >
      > Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of that specific area.
      Which maps
      > do you have? I assume you've seen the 1970 map
      > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html - that's the
      only cable
      > map I have of the area. It supports your theory that Upper
      Strasburg was
      > only a wire-pair carrier terminal.
      >
      > Have you found any of the original cable markers in the area? It
      might be a
      > good idea to photograph them and record their exact locations, since
      their
      > always at risk for loss due to construction and theft.
      >
      > BTW, the cable which goes south from Upper Strasburg is the Upper
      > Strasburg-Lynchburg [VA], or "USL"
      > cable, a very old route.
      >
      > Albert

      I'd guess,without a map, that's the Harrisburg-Pittsburgh L3 route;I
      would'nt be surprised if Letterkenny had a cable or MW link to Clarks
      Knob as an alternate comms route if it served as a relocation site
      like the Radford,VA Arsenal.
    • Brady Alleman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003
        On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 16:04, Albert LaFrance wrote:
        > The distance between coax repeaters suggests an L3 route, which had an
        > average four-mile repeater spacing. The L3 system, introduced in 1953,
        > carried 1860 frequency-division-multiplexed one-way voice channels on a
        > single coaxial conductor. Also, I think most of the L3 routes ran directly
        > downtown-to-downtown, while the L4 and L5 cables which came later were
        > "avoidance routed" around major cities, with the cities being served by spur
        > lines from hardened main stations.

        >From what I've seen, this cable doesn't seem to run
        downtown-to-downtown. It would probably follow US Route 11 if that were
        the intent, passing through Carlisle and Shippensburg before reaching
        Upper Strasburg. The reason may have been more political than
        purposeful as the Carlisle-Shippensburg-Chambersburg area is a United
        Telephone of Pennsylvania (now Sprint) territory.

        > Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of that specific area. Which maps
        > do you have? I assume you've seen the 1970 map
        > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html - that's the only cable
        > map I have of the area. It supports your theory that Upper Strasburg was
        > only a wire-pair carrier terminal.

        I looked at that map, as well as two that were on the radio.ee.psu.edu
        site, which appears to be down currently. I've reposted the maps at
        http://thtech.net/maps/ if you'd like to take a look.

        > Have you found any of the original cable markers in the area? It might be a
        > good idea to photograph them and record their exact locations, since their
        > always at risk for loss due to construction and theft.

        I've not found any markers yet. I've only been visually sighting the
        repeaters from the road.

        > BTW, the cable which goes south from Upper Strasburg is the Upper
        > Strasburg-Lynchburg [VA], or "USL"
        > cable, a very old route.
        >
        > Albert

        I've also recently looked up the USGS maps of the Upper Strasburg area.
        They indicate the presence of a "telephone" line leaving the AT&T
        building in Upper Strasburg and ascending the mountain. It seems a spur
        then leads to Clark's knob from there. I hope to investigate that site
        more fully today.

        -Brady
      • umo1845
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Brady Alleman
          <coldwarcomms@t...> wrote:
          > On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 16:04, Albert LaFrance wrote:
          > > The distance between coax repeaters suggests an L3 route, which
          had an
          > > average four-mile repeater spacing. The L3 system, introduced
          in 1953,
          > > carried 1860 frequency-division-multiplexed one-way voice
          channels on a
          > > single coaxial conductor. Also, I think most of the L3 routes
          ran directly
          > > downtown-to-downtown, while the L4 and L5 cables which came
          later were
          > > "avoidance routed" around major cities, with the cities being
          served by spur
          > > lines from hardened main stations.
          >
          > >From what I've seen, this cable doesn't seem to run
          > downtown-to-downtown. It would probably follow US Route 11 if
          that were
          > the intent, passing through Carlisle and Shippensburg before
          reaching
          > Upper Strasburg. The reason may have been more political than
          > purposeful as the Carlisle-Shippensburg-Chambersburg area is a
          United
          > Telephone of Pennsylvania (now Sprint) territory.
          >

          > > Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge of that specific area.
          Which maps
          > > do you have? I assume you've seen the 1970 map
          > > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html - that's
          the only cable
          > > map I have of the area. It supports your theory that Upper
          Strasburg was
          > > only a wire-pair carrier terminal.
          >
          > I looked at that map, as well as two that were on the
          radio.ee.psu.edu
          > site, which appears to be down currently. I've reposted the maps
          at
          > http://thtech.net/maps/ if you'd like to take a look.
          > >
          > > Have you found any of the original cable markers in the area?
          It might be a
          > > good idea to photograph them and record their exact locations,
          since their
          > > always at risk for loss due to construction and theft.
          >
          > I've not found any markers yet. I've only been visually sighting
          the
          > repeaters from the road.
          > >
          > > BTW, the cable which goes south from Upper Strasburg is the Upper
          > > Strasburg-Lynchburg [VA], or "USL"
          > > cable, a very old route.
          > >
          > > Albert
          >
          > I've also recently looked up the USGS maps of the Upper Strasburg
          area.
          > They indicate the presence of a "telephone" line leaving the AT&T
          > building in Upper Strasburg and ascending the mountain. It seems
          a spur
          > then leads to Clark's knob from there. I hope to investigate that
          site
          > more fully today.
          >
          > -Brady

          Does anyone know if the Bedford-Harrisburg link passes thru Camp
          Hill, PA? There is what appears to be a repeater hut (based on
          similar ones I've seen photos of) in a back ally off Market Street.
          Also remember seeing Long-Lines trucks frequently working in the
          area when I was in high School (1976-78)

          Dan
        • Brady Alleman
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 14, 2003
            On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 21:21, umo1845 wrote:
            > Does anyone know if the Bedford-Harrisburg link passes thru Camp
            > Hill, PA? There is what appears to be a repeater hut (based on
            > similar ones I've seen photos of) in a back ally off Market Street.
            > Also remember seeing Long-Lines trucks frequently working in the
            > area when I was in high School (1976-78)
            >
            > Dan

            If what you found is a coax repeater hut, I suspect you're right about
            it being on the Bedford-Harrisburg route. Projecting the route from the
            repeaters I've observed, it seems reasonable that the cable would go
            through Camp Hill.

            I've plotted the huts I've seen, if anyone is interested:
            http://www.thtech.net/maps/Bedford-Harrisburg-Map.png (2.2 MB)

            I haven't yet had any luck finding huts beyond those on the map. The
            "telephone" route I was tracking west of Upper Strasburg appears to have
            been open-wire.

            -Brady
          • umo1845
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2003
              <coldwarcomms@t...> wrote:
              > On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 21:21, umo1845 wrote:
              > > Does anyone know if the Bedford-Harrisburg link passes thru Camp
              > > Hill, PA? There is what appears to be a repeater hut (based on
              > > similar ones I've seen photos of) in a back ally off Market
              Street.
              > > Also remember seeing Long-Lines trucks frequently working in the
              > > area when I was in high School (1976-78)
              > >
              > > Dan
              >
              > If what you found is a coax repeater hut, I suspect you're right
              about
              > it being on the Bedford-Harrisburg route. Projecting the route
              from the
              > repeaters I've observed, it seems reasonable that the cable would
              go
              > through Camp Hill.
              >
              > I've plotted the huts I've seen, if anyone is interested:
              > http://www.thtech.net/maps/Bedford-Harrisburg-Map.png (2.2 MB)
              >
              > I haven't yet had any luck finding huts beyond those on the map.
              The
              > "telephone" route I was tracking west of Upper Strasburg appears
              to have
              > been open-wire.
              >
              > -Brady

              I'll try to get a couple of photos & GPS Coord. of this one and see
              if I can locate any others.