Re: AT&T Glen Allen, VA

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
      <lafrance@w...> wrote:
      > Looking at a 1970 AT&T route map (
      > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html ), Glen Allen
      (about 10
      > mi. NNW of Richmond) got my attention because its routes have
      a "signature"
      > I've seen at some terminal stations serving important government
      sites: it
      > has paths to two adjacent stations on the same route.
      Specifically, Glen
      > Allen has paths to Oilville and Richmond, with the latter two
      stations also
      > having a direct path between them.
      >
      > Does anyone know what was Glen Allen's purpose?
      >
      > Albert

      Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
      think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
      solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an extra
      station.

      The direct path was the TL/TM radio to Charlottesville(Carters Mt)
      which was not affected because of the frequency & antenna placement.
    • David Lesher
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003

        > Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
        > think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
        > solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an extra
        > station.

        Errr..

        ISTR the stations went FreqA<---->FreqA[]FreqB<---->FreqB[]FreqA<----

        So what happened when they added one inbetween?

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
          > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
          > >

          > > Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
          > > think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
          > > solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an
          extra
          > > station.
          >
          > Errr..
          >
          > ISTR the stations went
          FreqA<---->FreqA[]FreqB<---->FreqB[]FreqA<----

          > So what happened when they added one inbetween?

          This was a marginally blocked path & the path loss/fade margin for the
          fully loaded TD-2 route was more likely to go noisy than the low
          capacity TL/TM;TL/TM routes in VA were usually revertive switching to
          the band least likely to fade.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            > Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
            > think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
            > solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an extra
            > station.
            >
            > The direct path was the TL/TM radio to Charlottesville(Carters Mt)
            > which was not affected because of the frequency & antenna placement.

            Thanks - that's very interesting!