AT&T Glen Allen, VA

    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2003
      Looking at a 1970 AT&T route map (
      http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html ), Glen Allen (about 10
      mi. NNW of Richmond) got my attention because its routes have a "signature"
      I've seen at some terminal stations serving important government sites: it
      has paths to two adjacent stations on the same route. Specifically, Glen
      Allen has paths to Oilville and Richmond, with the latter two stations also
      having a direct path between them.

      Does anyone know what was Glen Allen's purpose?

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
        <lafrance@w...> wrote:
        > Looking at a 1970 AT&T route map (
        > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html ), Glen Allen
        (about 10
        > mi. NNW of Richmond) got my attention because its routes have
        a "signature"
        > I've seen at some terminal stations serving important government
        sites: it
        > has paths to two adjacent stations on the same route.
        Specifically, Glen
        > Allen has paths to Oilville and Richmond, with the latter two
        stations also
        > having a direct path between them.
        >
        > Does anyone know what was Glen Allen's purpose?
        >
        > Albert

        Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
        think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
        solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an extra
        station.

        The direct path was the TL/TM radio to Charlottesville(Carters Mt)
        which was not affected because of the frequency & antenna placement.
      • David Lesher
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003

          > Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
          > think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
          > solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an extra
          > station.

          Errr..

          ISTR the stations went FreqA<---->FreqA[]FreqB<---->FreqB[]FreqA<----

          So what happened when they added one inbetween?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
            > Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
            > >

            > > Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
            > > think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
            > > solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an
            extra
            > > station.
            >
            > Errr..
            >
            > ISTR the stations went
            FreqA<---->FreqA[]FreqB<---->FreqB[]FreqA<----

            > So what happened when they added one inbetween?

            This was a marginally blocked path & the path loss/fade margin for the
            fully loaded TD-2 route was more likely to go noisy than the low
            capacity TL/TM;TL/TM routes in VA were usually revertive switching to
            the band least likely to fade.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
              > Glen Allen was built because a tall bldg(Central National Bank i
              > think) partially blocked the TD-2 path so a dog leg was needed to
              > solve this;there were a number of cases like this requiring an extra
              > station.
              >
              > The direct path was the TL/TM radio to Charlottesville(Carters Mt)
              > which was not affected because of the frequency & antenna placement.

              Thanks - that's very interesting!