Re: [coldwarcomms] TMRS - Telephone Maintenance Radio System

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2003
      > > The TMRS system operated on 8 UHF pairs, and different
      > > PL's. They also had a VHF pair licensed, as well as two
      > > low band channels.
      > >

      > Technically speaking, you are correct; AT&T was (is) eligible under the
      Part 90
      > rules for all of the UHF TMRS radio pairs. However, in practice,
      451/456.325 was
      > by far the 'frequency of choice' for AT&T, and typically the channel used.
      Most
      > of the other telcos, who oftentimes had facilities on the other eligible
      pairs,
      > never licensed on .325 in deference to AT&T's widespread use.

      It pretty much depended on where you were. As an example,
      in Georgia, you had 22 sites, all on F1, which was the .325 pair.

      In Arkansas, out of 19 sites, only 6 were on F1, Alexander,
      Bay, Cherry Valley, Marmaduke, Memphis Junction, Possibly
      Little Rock.

      Go all the way over to California, and out of 46 sites, only 1
      was on F1, the Glamis site in southern CA.

      Another extreme, would be CT, 9 sites, all F1, but OR,
      had 17 sites, none on F1.

      It is as you say, most likely that the majority of the sites
      were on F1, but in a lot of areas, F1 would be the RBOC
      or some other licensee.

      A couple of other interesting things, is only 4 PLs were normally
      used, 1A, XB, 6Z, DPL226, and Carrier Squelch.

      Also, F7, and F8 were considered "special case". I have not
      looked much at those yet. 451/456.225 and 451/456.575