Re: Long Lines Maintenance Radio

    Message 1 of 19 , May 27, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Brad Cobo <brad@c...> wrote:
      > I was digging through some paperwork recently and stumbled upon an
      > interesting find. Motorola repeaters were located at various sites
      > throughtout the network and at each site, of course, the license for
      that
      > station was posted. If you look closely at the license you will see
      the
      > number and type of units licensed to use the system. We have
      handhelds,
      > mobiles, and wait, what's this, aircraft? Yep, the license I have
      shows
      > 5035 mobiles, 1020 handhelds, and 152 aircraft. The license was
      pulled from
      > a site in Texas.
      >
      > The area of operation is listed as US nationwide: continental, south
      of
      > line A, and west of line C, excluding AK.
      >
      > It also lists a special condition, but it says see attached #16
      which,
      > unfortunately, I don't have.
      >
      > I wasn't aware that AT&T had any aircraft. I don't think this has
      anything
      > to do with the EF system. The license name and service are listed as
      AT&T

      Message 2 of 19 , May 27, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Sam Etler <etler@c...> wrote:
        > > AT&T leased many aircraft, as well as owning a few themselfs. In
        >
        > So this leads to the question, are there any aircraft related BSPs?
        :-)

        > sam

        Not on the a/c but i think there was a region and/or district LL
        addendum to a Plant Protection BSP covering the air patrol & the do's
        & don'ts; & of course the omnipresent letters & instructions
        pertaining to just about everything.I'd like to see some of those
        covering the Exec transport choppers & Corporate jets.
      • blitz
        Message 3 of 19 , May 27, 2003
          Cant resist it....

          "All planes flying on company business will have at least one person on
          board"...... ;)

          Message 4 of 19 , May 27, 2003
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@m...> wrote:
            > Cant resist it....
            >
            > "All planes flying on company business will have at least one person
            on
            > board"...... ;)

            You must have been staff instruction writer!
          • blitz
            Message 5 of 19 , May 27, 2003
              No, actually that comes from a friend of mine who owns a tugboat company in
              Canada..
              At the exit from his boat yard, theres a BIG sign that says "Company policy
              mandates all vessels leaving the yard have at least one person aboard"...

              It seemed like something one would find in a BSP...heh..

              At 02:46 5/28/2003 +0000, you wrote:
              >--- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@m...> wrote:
              > > Cant resist it....
              > >
              > > "All planes flying on company business will have at least one person
              >on
              > > board"...... ;)
              > >

              >You must have been staff instruction writer!

            • Christopher Ness
              Message 6 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                On Tuesday 27 May 2003 04:21 pm, Blake Bowers wrote:
                > > I wasn't aware that AT&T had any aircraft. I don't think this has
                > > anything to do with the EF system. The license name and service are
                > > listed as AT&T and IT Telephone Maintenance, respectively.
                >
                > AT&T leased many aircraft, as well as owning a few themselfs. In
                > addition to normal corporate affairs, they also used aircraft for
                > checking cable ROW's, and moving techs in a few situations where
                > time was of the essence.

                As early as 1970 they stationed a leased Bell JetRanger at Conyers. We were
                leasing a Hughes and the leasing agent had to swap one out at Conyers for
                maintenance - so he invited me to go along for the ride. First time I was
                ever aware of Conyers. It was quite a place in the seventies. It's still
                impressive now (as one of two AT&T national maint centers), but just not the
                same.
                --
                Chris Ness
                mailto:cness@... All jobs are equally easy to
                Message 7 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                  I knew that they flew over the cable routes, but I didn't
                  know if the aircraft was owned by AT&T. I had visions of
                  finding a pic of a fixed wing plane with the death star
                  logo on the side...

                  Brad Cobo
                • blitz
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                    Use the phone luke....heh..

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 28, 2003
                      Technicians at both the Dranesville, VA and Monrovia, MD underground main
                      stations told me that cable-patrol helicopters often operated from those
                      stations. In fact, the last time I was at Dranesville, the metal framework
                      of a wind cone could still be seen attached to one of the emergency-exit
                      structures.