Re: Lecture by AT&T Long Lines Asst. VP, from 1960

  • s92187
    Message 1 of 7 , May 24, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:

      ... > Some stations were overbuilt in size for projects/services that
      never
      > materialized,like Haymarket,VA & Oilville,VA.

      And Lee, IL, which is a site I now own. That building was expanded
      twice since it's original construction, the last time was in 1981,
      when they took out an entire outside wall and added about 6000 square
      feet of additional building space. However, this new section of the
      building was never used. The Lee site was decommissioned in the
      mid '90s, the entire building is now empty.

      I suspect building expansion at many microwave sites was done in
      anticipation of growth in MW network capacity, but the
      imnplementation of fiber optics ended expansion of the microwave
      network.

      Terry Michaels