Germantown, MD - Mt. Weather link

    Message 1 of 15 , May 18, 2003
      I vaguely recall discussions with other Cold War infrastructure
      researchers - I think before this list began - speculating about the
      possibility of a hidden/hardened facility in Germantown, MD (about 23 mi. NW
      of Washington, DC), specifically on the federal property now occupied by the
      Department of Energy.

      In the records of the AT&T Long Lines Randallstown [MD] Radio Relay
      Maintenance Group, I came across a file which got me thinking again about
      that topic. The folder is titled "Germantown / Retire and Remove LMX-1 to
      Wash #4". Germantown was an AT&T microwave station located just outside the
      federal compound, and Washington 4 is/was one of AT&T's names for Mount
      Weather.

      The documents in the folder show dates between December 1971 and December
      1972. The important item is a "Circuit Order Preamble" card, naming the
      transmission facilities to be discontinued. They show MGS [possibly
      Mastergroups: 600 multiplexed voice channels], MURs (Message Units Radio:
      one-way microwave channels between two terminal stations) and RUs (Radio
      Units: one-way microwave channels between two protection-switching stations)
      linking Germantown and Washington 4.

      The card shows the radio channels going through Hamilton, VA - interesting
      because that's the first indication I'd seen of an AT&T microwave link going
      east from Mt. Weather. It may be significant that Hamilton also had a
      microwave path to Garden City, VA, which was a major junction serving
      Washington and had an important role in network TV program distribution.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 19, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
        <albertjlafrance@c...> wrote:
        > I vaguely recall discussions with other Cold War infrastructure
        > researchers - I think before this list began - speculating about the
        > possibility of a hidden/hardened facility in Germantown, MD (about
        23 mi. NW
        > of Washington, DC), specifically on the federal property now
        occupied by the
        > Department of Energy.
        >
        > In the records of the AT&T Long Lines Randallstown [MD] Radio Relay
        > Maintenance Group, I came across a file which got me thinking again
        about
        > that topic. The folder is titled "Germantown / Retire and Remove
        LMX-1 to
        > Wash #4". Germantown was an AT&T microwave station located just
        outside the
        > federal compound, and Washington 4 is/was one of AT&T's names for
        Mount
        > Weather.
        >
        > The documents in the folder show dates between December 1971 and
        December
        > 1972. The important item is a "Circuit Order Preamble" card, naming
        the
        > transmission facilities to be discontinued. They show MGS [possibly
        > Mastergroups: 600 multiplexed voice channels], MURs (Message Units
        Radio:
        > one-way microwave channels between two terminal stations) and RUs
        (Radio
        > Units: one-way microwave channels between two protection-switching
        stations)
        > linking Germantown and Washington 4.
        >
        > The card shows the radio channels going through Hamilton, VA -
        interesting
        > because that's the first indication I'd seen of an AT&T microwave
        link going
        > east from Mt. Weather. It may be significant that Hamilton also had
        > microwave path to Garden City, VA, which was a major junction
        serving
        > Washington and had an important role in network TV program
        distribution.

        > Albert

        I believe "Wheelhouse" and/or other wideband(50KB analog)mobile
        systems were there,and they would need connectivity to Mt Weather,and
        maybe Site R.The building may have been hardened to some degree,with
        decontamination showers,etc(like Haymarket,VA).I'll try to find out
        more specifics.
        Message 3 of 15 , May 20, 2003
          Message 4 of 15 , May 21, 2003
            I've just posted a web page for Germantown, including the Circuit Order
            Preamble card showing the Mt. Weather connection:
            http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/Germantown_MD/index.html

            Also, this picture from American Tower's web site is a view looking east
            from the Germantown tower, showing what I think is part of the federal (DoE)
            site. Looks interesting, but I don't know exactly what it is:
            http://www.americantower.com/OASISPublic/SiteADO/PhotoViewer.asp?lngSiteId=5
            53&lngTowerId=-1&intATFileIndex=22

            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 2003
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
              > <albertjlafrance@c...> wrote:
              > > I vaguely recall discussions with other Cold War infrastructure
              > > researchers - I think before this list began - speculating about
              the
              > > possibility of a hidden/hardened facility in Germantown, MD (about
              > 23 mi. NW
              > > of Washington, DC), specifically on the federal property now
              > occupied by the
              > > Department of Energy.
              > >
              > > In the records of the AT&T Long Lines Randallstown [MD] Radio
              Relay
              > > Maintenance Group, I came across a file which got me thinking
              again
              > about
              > > that topic. The folder is titled "Germantown / Retire and Remove
              > LMX-1 to
              > > Wash #4". Germantown was an AT&T microwave station located just
              > outside the
              > > federal compound, and Washington 4 is/was one of AT&T's names for
              > Mount
              > > Weather.
              > >
              > > The documents in the folder show dates between December 1971 and
              > December
              > > 1972. The important item is a "Circuit Order Preamble" card,
              naming
              > the
              > > transmission facilities to be discontinued. They show MGS
              [possibly
              > > Mastergroups: 600 multiplexed voice channels], MURs (Message Units
              > Radio:
              > > one-way microwave channels between two terminal stations) and RUs
              > (Radio
              > > Units: one-way microwave channels between two protection-switching
              > stations)
              > > linking Germantown and Washington 4.
              > >
              > > The card shows the radio channels going through Hamilton, VA -
              > interesting
              > > because that's the first indication I'd seen of an AT&T microwave
              > link going
              > > east from Mt. Weather. It may be significant that Hamilton also
              had
              > > microwave path to Garden City, VA, which was a major junction
              > serving
              > > Washington and had an important role in network TV program
              > distribution.
              > >
              > > Albert
              >
              > I believe "Wheelhouse" and/or other wideband(50KB analog)mobile
              > systems were there,and they would need connectivity to Mt
              Weather,and
              > maybe Site R.The building may have been hardened to some degree,with
              > decontamination showers,etc(like Haymarket,VA).I'll try to find out
              > more specifics.

              Apparently Germantown early on was primarily for air-ground/mobile
              comms;concurrently or later it may have also fed some video, wideband
              data,& other services to the AEC/DOE, established there in
              1957.Special Services to that area were normally fed out STC's like
              Silver Spring,Monrovia, Baltimore and possibly Washington 1;so
              anything directly out of Germantown(unattended) would be special or
              supplemental.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 30, 2003
> [...]
                > > >
                > > > Albert
                > >
                > > I believe "Wheelhouse" and/or other wideband(50KB analog)mobile
                > > systems were there,and they would need connectivity to Mt
                > Weather,and
                > > maybe Site R.The building may have been hardened to some
                degree,with
                > > decontamination showers,etc(like Haymarket,VA).I'll try to find
                out
                > > more specifics.
                >
                > Apparently Germantown early on was primarily for air-ground/mobile
                > comms;concurrently or later it may have also fed some video,
                wideband
                > data,& other services to the AEC/DOE, established there in
                > 1957.Special Services to that area were normally fed out STC's like
                > Silver Spring,Monrovia, Baltimore and possibly Washington 1;so
                > anything directly out of Germantown(unattended) would be special or

                My sources so far tell me what i have always been told: there was only
                one MW path into Wash 4,from Omps.

                R units are normally radio channels between terminals and/or main
                stations,therefore one would conclude an R unit Hamilton- Wash 4
                would be a direct shot;but i think in this case the R unit actually
                went from Hamilton to Lewistown to Clear Spring to Omps(normally this
                would show an R unit to Lewistown & then another to Omps).

                I'm also told the paths from East,South & West would require a tower
                at Wash 4,and i'm assuming that the one path was sufficient,and not
                having a tower to attract attention superceded having a diverse radio
                route;and there was the N CXR route.
                Message 7 of 15 , May 31, 2003
                  > My sources so far tell me what i have always been told: there was only
                  > one MW path into Wash 4,from Omps.
                  >
                  > R units are normally radio channels between terminals and/or main
                  > stations,therefore one would conclude an R unit Hamilton- Wash 4
                  > would be a direct shot;but i think in this case the R unit actually
                  > went from Hamilton to Lewistown to Clear Spring to Omps(normally this
                  > would show an R unit to Lewistown & then another to Omps).
                  >
                  > I'm also told the paths from East,South & West would require a tower
                  > at Wash 4,and i'm assuming that the one path was sufficient,and not
                  > having a tower to attract attention superceded having a diverse radio
                  > route;and there was the N CXR route.

                  I just checked my notes from a visit to Hamilton about four years ago.
                  There was a pair of horns oriented west-southwest (about 250 degrees), which
                  is roughly the bearing of Mt. Weather from that site. None of the route
                  maps or FCC records I've seen show Hamilton having any destinations at
                  longitudes west of the site, which makes me think the horns went to a
                  classified location.

                  I agree that an R unit (or MUR?) Hamilton-Wash4 could well have been routed
                  Hamilton-Lewistown-Clear Spring-Omps-Wash4. In fact, if Omps was the only
                  radio path into Mt. Weather, that would be the most practical route.

                  But it's also a very long (about 119 mi.) and roundabout route - almost a
                  complete circle with Wash4 at the six o'clock position - while a direct
                  Hamilton-Wash4 shot is only about 15 mi. There's precedent for a microwave
                  tower on the east side of the mountain: an American Satellite microwave
                  route went from there (the station name was Paris East) to an apparent
                  junction at Elmer, MD. From Elmer, a route went to the Site E tower at
                  Tysons Corner, and I suspect another went to Site R.

                  There's an AT&T 1970 DC-area route map at
                  http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/DC1970.html in case anyone wants to
                  locate the sites under discussion.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1 8:53 AM
                    <lafrance@w...> wrote:
> [...]

                    There might have been a direct shot then;the 2 guys i talked to just
                    did'nt recall it;and if so maybe a tower was'nt needed and a dish in
                    a hillside was viable.

                    What was the date on the tower you mentioned?..i suspect it was not
                    there in the early years,but after the site was not so secret anymore.
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1 9:43 AM
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 2 9:10 PM
                        I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a possible
                        Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine a route
                        between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via Hamilton and
                        Lewistown:
                        http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3 5:54 AM
                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance" <lafrance@w...>
                          wrote:
                          > I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a
                          possible
                          > Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine
                          a route
                          > between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via
                          Hamilton and
                          > Lewistown:
                          > http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
                          >
                          > Albert

                          That seems to confirm a direct path, i don't think there was a tower
                          there in the late 1960's, so if hardened it must have been
                          ground embedded like the other hardened dishes; or maybe a dish on a
                          building.
                        • Mark Foster
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 4 1:36 AM
                            At 12:10 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                            >I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a possible
                            >Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine a route
                            >between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via Hamilton and
                            >Lewistown:
                            >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
                            >
                            >Albert

                            The question is why they are being discontinued.

                            If Mt WX has a phone system anything like CMC, which is well documented
                            in Bell System's literature, it would have two microwave shots and two
                            cable routes
                            all four of which feed into a special switch which instantly replaced a bad or
                            damaged circuit with a good circuit. This would account for some of the
                            redundant
                            connections among the outlying stations.

                            The four? routes would be an east and west microwave and a north and
                            south?(east?) cable.

                            Given the time frame of the removal it wasn't because they were being
                            replaced by fiber.
                            Maybe hard times (lack of funding) for the agency?
                          • Doug Humphrey
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 4 6:47 AM

                              >Message: 7
                              > Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:36:39 -0400
                              > From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
                              >Subject: Re: Re: Germantown, MD - Mt. Weather link
                              >
                              >At 12:10 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                              > >I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a possible
                              > >Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to discontine a route
                              > >between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via Hamilton and
                              > >Lewistown:
                              > >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
                              > >
                              > >Albert
                              > >

                              >The question is why they are being discontinued.
                              >
                              >If Mt WX has a phone system anything like CMC, which is well documented
                              >in Bell System's literature, it would have two microwave shots and two
                              >cable routes
                              >all four of which feed into a special switch which instantly replaced a bad or
                              >damaged circuit with a good circuit. This would account for some of the
                              >redundant
                              >connections among the outlying stations.
                              >
                              >The four? routes would be an east and west microwave and a north and
                              >south?(east?) cable.
                              >
                              >Given the time frame of the removal it wasn't because they were being
                              >replaced by fiber.
                              >Maybe hard times (lack of funding) for the agency?

                              Change of mission is another possibility - it is likely that
                              Mt. Weather is a multi-mission facility (I know that it is
                              today, it is likely it was back then too) where there are multiple
                              tenant agencies doing multiple missions. Communications facilities
                              can be tied to the facility, or the agency/activity at the facility,
                              or to a project within the agency/activity. If these circuits were
                              for anything other than the facility as a whole, then they could
                              have reached the end of the activity or project, it might have moved
                              to another site (for example, an activity or project that was at Mt.
                              Weather for a while, but then got its own bunker somewhere else and
                              moved, so the commo followed it) or it got discontinued entirely
                              and the commo simply ceased to exist.

                              If you look at some of the records, it is clear that Mt. Weather serves
                              many different customers, and is not monolithic, so you would expect
                              to have more circuits provisioned in and out, and more change in the
                              configurations over time.

                              Doug
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 4 9:56 AM
                                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, Mark Foster <mfoster@c...> wrote:
                                > At 12:10 AM 6/3/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                                > >I found another Circuit Order Preamble card which relates to a
                                possible
                                > >Hamilton-Washington 4 (Mt. Weather) link; this one is to
                                discontine a route
                                > >between Washington 4 and Blue Ridge Summit No. 2 ( Site) R via
                                Hamilton and
                                > >Lewistown:
                                > >http://longlines.addr.com/places-routes/BRS2PA-Wash4VA/E01606.html
                                > >
                                > >Albert
                                > >

                                > The question is why they are being discontinued.
                                >
                                > If Mt WX has a phone system anything like CMC, which is well
                                documented
                                > in Bell System's literature, it would have two microwave shots and
                                two
                                > cable routes
                                > all four of which feed into a special switch which instantly
                                replaced a bad or
                                > damaged circuit with a good circuit. This would account for some
                                of the
                                > redundant
                                > connections among the outlying stations.
                                >
                                > The four? routes would be an east and west microwave and a north
                                and
                                > south?(east?) cable.

                                Mt. Weather did'nt have,at least in the early years,the sophisticated
                                ring routing,steel cable conduit,4 routes,etc that CMC had.

                                > Given the time frame of the removal it wasn't because they were
                                being
                                > replaced by fiber.
                                > Maybe hard times (lack of funding) for the agency?

                                In addition to the previous post statement re: agency missions
                                change,agencies change;some of these MG's were not fully loaded,maybe
                                only 2-3 SG's were in service, and in this time frame 50KB wide band
                                analog groups could be replaced by a DDS channel or T channel/line,or
                                some of the services could have gone to satellite; thus freeing up
                                bandwidth so circuit rearrangements would allow some multiplex
                                sections to be discontinued.....and the radio routes were'nt being
                                discontinued,only one of the radio channels out of 6 or 12 in each
                                route was disc.
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 5, 2003
                                  I found a Randallstown project file which confirms wideband data equipment
                                  at Germantown; it's from 1971, and specifies the removal of a LWM-6 modem,
                                  WLR-5 wideband loop repeater, and miscellaneous plug-in equipment.

                                  Ref: Randallstown folder titled "834034 / Germantown / DC203 / Remove
                                  Wideband"