Re: WHIS-TV / GTE in Bluefield WV (Early Private TV Microwave Link)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2003
      ---

      > One of the reasons that AT&T might not have wanted to extend
      microwave
      > from Roanoke VA to Bluefiled WV was that Bluefield is *NOT* "Bell"
      > territory! It was *NOT* Chesapeake & Potomoc Telephone of WV (BOC),
      but
      > rather an independent telco. I don't know if it was General
      Telephone
      > in the mid-1950s or not, but in the 1970s and up until circa 1992,
      the
      > local telco for Bluefield and nearby in VA was GTE.
      >
      > When GTE wanted to buy out Contel in the early 1990s, the resulting
      entity
      > (still called GTE) sold off several exchange areas of *both* former
      Contel
      > *and* pre-merger GTE.
      >
      > Bluefiled WV and all nearby *WEST* Viriginia GTE exchange areas were
      sold
      > to Citizens Telephone/Telecom/Utilities. However, those GTE exchange
      areas
      > right across the state-line in Virginia were retained by GTE, and
      today
      > would be part of VeriZon. (VeriZon also being the merger of GTE and
      the
      > BOC Bell Atlantic, which was also the old C&P Telephone (BOC) in
      both VA
      > and WV (as well as MD and DC).
      >
      > So, I wonder if AT&T Long Lines and their Bell operating Telco C&P
      Tel
      > didn't really want to build microwave to Bluefield might have
      partially
      > been because Bluefiled WV and surrounding WV/VA area was non-Bell,
      and
      > there might have been problems in who would "own" the system, who
      would
      > get the larger shares of revenue settlements on switched and private
      line
      > "toll" charges, etc.
      >
      > I seem to remember reading that it was network *television*, because
      of
      > the need for relaying of the *video* signal, which resulted in many
      > "private" microwave routes and facilities. AT&T might not have
      wanted to
      > construct such microwave (and co-ax probably didn't exist in some of
      these
      > areas), thinking that live-feed network TV to some areas wasn't
      really
      > "necessary" ?? ... And it was the continued development of such
      private
      > microwave systems, into OCCs (Other Common Carriers) which
      ultimately led
      > to the development of competitive public long distance companies
      (MCI,
      > Sprint, etc).
      >

      > Mark J. Cuccia
      > mcuccia@t...
      > New Orleans LA USA

      That may have part of the reason, but there were many cases of AT&T
      and BOC's meeting ICO's "in the air", or at pole with cable/open wire
      with mutually agreeable "separations/divisions of revenue"
      arrangements, albeit mainly on message service.I think
      timely recovery of costs were the bottom line in these cases for any
      of the companies involved.

      A new route for TV was helped if there was also a need for adding
      message capacity to offset costs,and this may not have been the case
      there at that time, or GTE had insufficient capital construction money
      then for adding capacity.

      Special construction always had hefty early termination
      charges,usually 5 or more years, and the station may not have been
      willing to obligate itself to that;so maybe AT&T was'nt interested in
      gratis construction, but would have been willing to do it with the
      usual termination charges.