Recent submarine cable vulnerabilities report

  • dsss_communications
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2003
      ozob99's post (#5713) regarding 1964 USAF microwave system design
      launched me into a detailed investigation of the entire report series
      entitled "On Distributed Communications" published by RAND during
      that time. It is worth reading if you have the time. Much of the
      infrastructure discussed is now in the flesh in the form of the
      present-day Internet. For a thread, read the section titled "List of
      Publications in the Series" and change the report number in the URL
      (address) to coincide with the report number you wish to read.

      As a spinoff of that venture, I spent additional time noodling
      through the RAND publications site and came across a interesting .pdf
      discussing vulnerabilities of current submarine cables. The report
      also details many of the high-capacity FO cables deployed around the
      world. Great reading.

      The report can be found at:
      http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1395/MR1395.appi.pdf

      Greg
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications"
        <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
        > ozob99's post (#5713) regarding 1964 USAF microwave system design
        > launched me into a detailed investigation of the entire report
        series
        > entitled "On Distributed Communications" published by RAND during
        > that time. It is worth reading if you have the time. Much of the
        > infrastructure discussed is now in the flesh in the form of the
        > present-day Internet. For a thread, read the section titled "List
        of
        > Publications in the Series" and change the report number in the URL
        > (address) to coincide with the report number you wish to read.
        >
        > As a spinoff of that venture, I spent additional time noodling
        > through the RAND publications site and came across a interesting
        .pdf
        > discussing vulnerabilities of current submarine cables. The report
        > also details many of the high-capacity FO cables deployed around the
        > world. Great reading.
        >
        > The report can be found at:
        > http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1395/MR1395.appi.pdf
        >
        > Greg

        Another page on a shark attack, and on the FO cables:

        http://www.spie.org/web/oer/august/aug99/subcable.html

        As you found there are often more interesting documents buried in
        large websites but its very time consuming because of the
        structure,not allowing backward movement within the site, & poor or no
        search function provided.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications"
          <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
          > ozob99's post (#5713) regarding 1964 USAF microwave system design
          > launched me into a detailed investigation of the entire report
          series
          > entitled "On Distributed Communications" published by RAND during
          > that time. It is worth reading if you have the time. Much of the
          > infrastructure discussed is now in the flesh in the form of the
          > present-day Internet. For a thread, read the section titled "List
          of
          > Publications in the Series" and change the report number in the URL
          > (address) to coincide with the report number you wish to read.
          >
          > As a spinoff of that venture, I spent additional time noodling
          > through the RAND publications site and came across a
          interesting .pdf
          > discussing vulnerabilities of current submarine cables. The report
          > also details many of the high-capacity FO cables deployed around
          the
          > world. Great reading.
          >
          > The report can be found at:
          > http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1395/MR1395.appi.pdf
          >
          > Greg

          Some recent finds on sub cables:

          www.atlantic-cable.com/Article/Easton/

          www.ospmag.com/features/2000/under_the_sea.htm

          www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/cht_papers/hayes.pdf

          I also have 2 pics of TAT-7 installation on the Jersey shore i can
          email if anyone is interested.
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2003
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications"
            > <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
            > > ozob99's post (#5713) regarding 1964 USAF microwave system
            design
            > > launched me into a detailed investigation of the entire report
            > series
            > > entitled "On Distributed Communications" published by RAND
            during
            > > that time. It is worth reading if you have the time. Much of
            the
            > > infrastructure discussed is now in the flesh in the form of the
            > > present-day Internet. For a thread, read the section
            titled "List
            > of
            > > Publications in the Series" and change the report number in the
            URL
            > > (address) to coincide with the report number you wish to read.
            > >
            > > As a spinoff of that venture, I spent additional time noodling
            > > through the RAND publications site and came across a
            > interesting .pdf
            > > discussing vulnerabilities of current submarine cables. The
            report
            > > also details many of the high-capacity FO cables deployed around
            > the
            > > world. Great reading.
            > >
            > > The report can be found at:
            > > http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1395/MR1395.appi.pdf
            > >
            > > Greg
            >
            > Some recent finds on sub cables:
            >
            > www.atlantic-cable.com/Article/Easton/
            >
            > www.ospmag.com/features/2000/under_the_sea.htm
            >
            > www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/cht_papers/hayes.pdf
            >
            > I also have 2 pics of TAT-7 installation on the Jersey shore i can
            > email if anyone is interested.

            Yeha I'd like to see those.
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2003
              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
              > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications"
              > <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
              > > ozob99's post (#5713) regarding 1964 USAF microwave system design
              > > launched me into a detailed investigation of the entire report
              > series
              > > entitled "On Distributed Communications" published by RAND during
              > > that time. It is worth reading if you have the time. Much of the
              > > infrastructure discussed is now in the flesh in the form of the
              > > present-day Internet. For a thread, read the section titled "List
              > of
              > > Publications in the Series" and change the report number in the
              URL
              > > (address) to coincide with the report number you wish to read.
              > >
              > > As a spinoff of that venture, I spent additional time noodling
              > > through the RAND publications site and came across a
              > interesting .pdf
              > > discussing vulnerabilities of current submarine cables. The
              report
              > > also details many of the high-capacity FO cables deployed around
              > the
              > > world. Great reading.
              > >
              > > The report can be found at:
              > > http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1395/MR1395.appi.pdf

              I just found this paper on the SL optical undersea cable:

              www.lucent.com/minds/techjournal/pdf/jan-mar2000/paper11.pdf

              I've tried retrieving specific tech journal dates & topics with
              the site search function,& so far not much luck, i'm sure there must
              be a way.
              Message 6 of 7 , May 11, 2003
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
                > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications"
                > > <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
                > > > ozob99's post (#5713) regarding 1964 USAF microwave system
                design
                > > > launched me into a detailed investigation of the entire report
                > > series
                > > > entitled "On Distributed Communications" published by RAND
                during
                > > > that time. It is worth reading if you have the time. Much of
                the
                > > > infrastructure discussed is now in the flesh in the form of the
                > > > present-day Internet. For a thread, read the section titled
                "List
                > > of
                > > > Publications in the Series" and change the report number in the
                > URL
                > > > (address) to coincide with the report number you wish to read.
                > > >
                > > > As a spinoff of that venture, I spent additional time noodling
                > > > through the RAND publications site and came across a
                > > interesting .pdf
                > > > discussing vulnerabilities of current submarine cables. The
                > report
                > > > also details many of the high-capacity FO cables deployed around
                > > the
                > > > world. Great reading.
                > > >
                > > > The report can be found at:
                > > > http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1395/MR1395.appi.pdf
                >

                > I just found this paper on the SL optical undersea cable:
                >
                > www.lucent.com/minds/techjournal/pdf/jan-mar2000/paper11.pdf
                >
                > I've tried retrieving specific tech journal dates & topics with
                > the site search function,& so far not much luck, i'm sure there must
                > be a way.

                Opps..i see i posted a url on terrestial optical systems instead of
                the SL cable; at least it may be of interest also; here is the correct
                url:

                www.comsoc.org/livepubs/50_journals/pdf/RightsManagement_eid=91682.pdf
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2003

                  > Some recent finds on sub cables:
                  >
                  > www.atlantic-cable.com/Article/Easton/
                  >
                  > www.ospmag.com/features/2000/under_the_sea.htm
                  >
                  > www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/cht_papers/hayes.pdf
                  >
                  > I also have 2 pics of TAT-7 installation on the Jersey shore i can
                  > email if anyone is interested.

                  More submarine cable pages not in the archive:

                  http://davidw.home.cern.ch/davidw/public/SubCables.html

                  www.slingsby-engineering.co.uk/pdfs/21stcent.pdf

                  http://sdots.com/seas/deep4.html
                  (this has loads of good links)