Russian bunker.

  • John Warne
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3 12:28 PM
      From "Betrayal," by Bill Gertz, pp. 44-45:

      "...the huge strategic underground complex being built in the Ural
      Mountains several hundred miles east of Moscow. The facility, known as
      Yamantau Mountain, is part of continued underground construction costing
      Russia billions of dollars. Yamantau Mountain, which appropriately
      translates into "Evil Mountain" in the local Bashkir language, is a secret
      installation, said by U.S. intelligence officials to be as large as the
      area inside the Washington Beltway, the highway that rings America's
      capital city."

      "The Russian government publicly acknowledged the secret bunker for the
      first time in a budget report published in Moscow on March 4, 1997. "

      "Two secret 'numbered' cities were built to house the 30,000 people
      involved in its construction. The cities are known as Beloretsk-15 and
      Beloretsk-16 and are located about 850 miles east of Moscow."
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7 10:57 PM
        John,

        Thanks for the excerpt - that's quite interesting. It really makes one
        wonder just what the Russians are up to.

        The size mentioned is huge; I wonder how accurate the figure is. I believe
        the Capital Beltway is about 60 miles in circumference, which would give an
        area of over 280 square miles! I'd assume they're referring to the total
        amount of land at the site, rather than just the underground portion.

        There's some discussion from 1997 of Gertz's research at
        http://www.afpc.org/rrm/rrm252.htm. Note that I don't know anything about
        the politics (if any) of the American Foreign Policy Council, the site's
        owner.

        ...Albert