Re: North East SAGE Direction Centers

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, hooligan@a... wrote:
      > An excellent resource for this sort of stuff is the Radomes, Inc.
      group.
      HREF="http://www.radomes.org">http://www.radomes.org</A>

      > In the RADAR Museum section of the web page, they have a database
      of pretty
      > much EVERY Air Force Air Warning & Control related site, from SAGE
      DCs to the
      > tiny Gap Filler Annexes, complete with past & present photos, image
      > histories, GPS coords, Terraserver images, and even the old static
      callwords
      > the sites used.
      >
      > According to the Radomes listing for the DC at Stewart, it was
      indeed the
      > DC for the Boston Air Defense Sector in the 1960s, and used
      callwords BORDER,
      > SIMPSON, and SHALIMAR.
      >

      > Tim

      Yes,i've seen that it was,but it seems some geographical
      responsibilities may have changed over time with additional DC's
      coming online;so i'm trying to confirm if the Boston area was moved to
      Otis or Camp Edwards, or possibly North Truro later on because I
      remember Cataumet 20 as being a SAGE site in that timeline, and the
      "20" falls in with the other DCs' numerical suffix's even though it's
      not listed in the Radomes or other lists.

      I found a document that lists the Stewart DC's responsibilities as
      Maine south to CT,yet the Topsham ME DC was also established in
      1957,further confusing the geographical issue;and the number of DC's
      in online pages varies from 22 to 30.

      http://www.pinetreeline.org/boundary/bound14.jpg

      Assuming Stewart remained as the Boston DC perhaps Cataumet 20 was an
      AT&T entity associated with one of the other SAGE facilities on the
      Cape,possibly the Texas Tower tropo.

      Newberg XX(i don't recall the 2 digit #)) was the AT&T designation for
      the Stewart site.

    • mm2mere
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "ozob99" <ozob99@y...> wrote:
        > Yes,i've seen that it was,but it seems some geographical
        > responsibilities may have changed over time with additional DC's
        > coming online;so i'm trying to confirm if the Boston area was
        moved to
        > Otis or Camp Edwards, or possibly North Truro later on because I
        > remember Cataumet 20 as being a SAGE site in that timeline, and
        the
        > "20" falls in with the other DCs' numerical suffix's even though
        it's
        > not listed in the Radomes or other lists.
        >
        > I found a document that lists the Stewart DC's responsibilities as
        > Maine south to CT,yet the Topsham ME DC was also established in
        > 1957,further confusing the geographical issue;and the number of
        DC's
        > in online pages varies from 22 to 30.

        Here's what I came up with from searching through some old articles
        This will either make things clearer or more confusing. Seems the
        boundaries of the defense sectors were changing yearly.

        The SAGE system in the Bangor Air Defense Sector becomes operational
        March 1st, 1959 at Topsham AFS, Maine. I don't have a date for the
        Boston sector but its SAGE DC was at Stewart AFB.

        At the time, the country was divided into numbered air divisions
        with multiple named SAGE air defense sectors in each. Bangor and
        Boston were SAGE sectors under the 26th Air Division (as well as the
        New York, Syracuse, and Washigton sectors), headquartered at Hancock
        Field, Syracuse. In 1961 the Bangor sector was assigned to the
        NORAD Northern Region which covered the Maritimes and the Canadian
        arctic.

        Effective April 1st, 1966 there was a reorganization of NORAD into
        six geographical regions, and Air Defense Command into numbered air
        forces with boundaries that coincided with the NORAD regions. The
        26th AD became the Eastern NORAD Region at Stewart AFB. The old air
        defense sectors became numbered divisions but still retained their
        names. Boston became the 35th AD and its SAGE center was now at
        Syracuse. According to Radomes.org the Stewart SAGE DC was
        deactivated the same day. Bangor became the 36th AD but was still
        assigned to the Northern NORAD Region (which existed previous to the
        1966 reorganization). Its SAGE center remained at Topsham and was
        finally deactivated September 30, 1969. As for ADC, the New England
        area became part of the 1st Air Force with HQ at Stewart AFB. Hope
        this helps.

        Another reference to the Boston and Bangor sectors:

        http://www.pinetreeline.org/other/other4/other4b.html