Re: [coldwarcomms] Essex Bunker cold war communications

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2003
      Thanks, that was very interesting for a couple of reasons. First, I was
      surprised at how early (1951) the facility was built. At that time in the
      US, Site R was still under construction, and the first AT&T hardened site
      (Monrovia, MD) was about ten years in the future.

      And second, the general design seems remarkably similar to the AT&T sites
      and the FEMA regional centers, most of which were built in the late 1960s.
      So it would appear that the UK was quite advanced in terms of hardened
      defense infrastructure!

      I noticed there's a top-level page for the bunker:
      http://learningcurve.pro.gov.uk/coldwar/bunker/bunker.htm

      And another giving some historical info:
      http://members.lycos.co.uk/bunkertrust/