Re: Presidential shelter on Nantucket Island

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
      Bob Beauscher, of the Nantucket Parks and Recreation Dept reports that the
      bunker is currently being renovated as a club house for the Nantucket Hunt
      Club. He has documentation that both confirms and also denies that it was
      Kennedy's bunker. Her reports that the bunker has its own water and sewer
      system but no toilets.

      I have attached a pair of photos that the New England COE has in their files.

      In "The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963", Michael R.
      Beschloss writes about the 1961 Berlin crisis (p. 271):
      "Kennedy spent the weekend [Aug. 12-13, 1961] at Hyannis Port [Kennedy home
      on Cape Cod, in eastern Massachusetts], where [Special Assistant to the
      President for National Security Affairs McGeorge] Bundy gave him 'a
      checklist of the actions that you are obligated to take if and when you
      contemplate a decision on the use of nuclear weapons.' If nuclear war
      erupted while he was at his summer home, he was to be rushed to the new
      secret presidential fallout shelter on Nantucket Island [off the coast of
      Massachusetts]. Built under a forty-five-acre submarine surveillance base,
      the Navy disguised it as a 'jet assist takeoff fuel bottle storage area.'
      Outside the twelve-mile territorial limit, Soviet trawlers customarily
      tried to eavesdrop on communications between the presidential yachts and
      the 'Hyannis White House' command post onshore."

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
        Mark,

        Thanks for the info and photos - nice research!

        From the outside, the bunker appears surprisingly unsophisticated,
        contrasted with the Presidential Emergency Facilities like "Cannonball"
        which were also being built in the early 1960s or before, and with places
        like Mt. Weather and Site R. This is just speculation, but perhaps that's
        because the Nantucket bunker had to be built hastily, after Kennedy's
        election and specifically for him, while the other facilities in the DC
        area were planned for the long term to serve every president.

        I wonder if Jackie saw the thing, and what she would have said about it!
        The entrance looks like someone took the end of a boiler, cut a hole in it,
        and welded on a steel plate with hinges to make a door.

        Any idea what kind of comms capability the bunker had?

        ...Albert
      • John Warne
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
          I remember seeing an article with a picture of the shelter some years ago
          in, if I recall correctly, one of those Sunday 'magazines' included with
          the local paper. I think I remember the picture showing an inside view of
          the thing.

          The article basically said, "Here's the previously secret shelter for the
          President in the Mass. area."

          I'd guess it was around 1970 or so.

          'Tis terrible to get an old brain <grin>.
        • Ryan C Blake
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
            Hi list,

            This and several other messages like it must have been quite large,
            because I didn't get them. I have a basic Juno account and my
            incoming/outgoing messages are limited to 64k each.

            If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
            into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
            left out.

            Thanks,

            Ryan
          • falcon
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
              >If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
              >into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
              >left out.
              >Thanks,
              >Ryan

              Sorry your kinda screwed... Their isn't a real good way to break up
              attachments so they can be viewed via juno.

              Rob