Bell Labs Record article

  • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
      All: I've (finally) gotten the article I'd mentioned earlier posted,
      available for your perusal. "NORAD's Radio Pipeline" talks about the
      microwave system at Cheyenne Mountain and the difficulties Bell faced in
      installing a 1600-foot waveguide system and protecting the microwave
      equipment from blast overpressures.

      The articles are available at
      http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/telco/blr/norad.html and are listed
      page-by-page.
      --
      Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
      Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
        Matthew,

        Fascinating! I get a blank page for page 332, so I'm still in suspense!

        Amazing stuff. I wish I knew about this when I visited CM several years
        back. Heck, even last year I didn't know an L-4 site when I saw one
        (Lamar).

        Scott
      • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 1999
          Scott Murdock wrote:

          > From: Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...>
          >
          > Matthew,
          >
          > Fascinating! I get a blank page for page 332, so I'm still in suspense!
          >
          > Amazing stuff. I wish I knew about this when I visited CM several years
          > back. Heck, even last year I didn't know an L-4 site when I saw one
          > (Lamar).

          Oops! Sorry about that - it's been fixed now.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 1999
            Matthew,

            Great article - thanks for posting it. I was particularly interested in
            the "sidewall coupler"; I had always wondered how the radio equipment at
            hardened microwave sites was protected against blast pressures coming in
            through the waveguides.

            I also liked the picture showing technicians at the antenna site feeding
            waveguide sections into the conduit. BTW, I think William Arkin's book
            "Nuclear Battlefields" has a picture of one of the hardened antennas at
            Cheyenne.

            ...Albert