Re: Presidential shelter on Nantucket Island

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
      At 11:16 AM 9/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...>
      >
      >Mark,
      >Great map -- is that from an online source? Looks nicer than the ones at
      >HTI:

      I have a set of Toposcout CDROMS for most all of New England. Toposcout
      has a website, and a demo program you can download. I belileve they are
      attempting to put the entire US on CDROMS. I think they now call themselves
      Maptech.

      See: http://www.maptech.com/topo/index.html
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
        Apparently the place is called the "Tom Nevers Head Naval Facility" and is
        a Superfund site [a place determined by the Environmental Protection Agency
        to be a serious pollution hazard, with cleanup to be paid for by a special
        fund].

        http://www.cqs.com/super_ma.htm

        ...Albert
      • Mark Foster
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
          Bob Beauscher, of the Nantucket Parks and Recreation Dept reports that the
          bunker is currently being renovated as a club house for the Nantucket Hunt
          Club. He has documentation that both confirms and also denies that it was
          Kennedy's bunker. Her reports that the bunker has its own water and sewer
          system but no toilets.

          I have attached a pair of photos that the New England COE has in their files.

          In "The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963", Michael R.
          Beschloss writes about the 1961 Berlin crisis (p. 271):
          "Kennedy spent the weekend [Aug. 12-13, 1961] at Hyannis Port [Kennedy home
          on Cape Cod, in eastern Massachusetts], where [Special Assistant to the
          President for National Security Affairs McGeorge] Bundy gave him 'a
          checklist of the actions that you are obligated to take if and when you
          contemplate a decision on the use of nuclear weapons.' If nuclear war
          erupted while he was at his summer home, he was to be rushed to the new
          secret presidential fallout shelter on Nantucket Island [off the coast of
          Massachusetts]. Built under a forty-five-acre submarine surveillance base,
          the Navy disguised it as a 'jet assist takeoff fuel bottle storage area.'
          Outside the twelve-mile territorial limit, Soviet trawlers customarily
          tried to eavesdrop on communications between the presidential yachts and
          the 'Hyannis White House' command post onshore."

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
            Mark,

            Thanks for the info and photos - nice research!

            From the outside, the bunker appears surprisingly unsophisticated,
            contrasted with the Presidential Emergency Facilities like "Cannonball"
            which were also being built in the early 1960s or before, and with places
            like Mt. Weather and Site R. This is just speculation, but perhaps that's
            because the Nantucket bunker had to be built hastily, after Kennedy's
            election and specifically for him, while the other facilities in the DC
            area were planned for the long term to serve every president.

            I wonder if Jackie saw the thing, and what she would have said about it!
            The entrance looks like someone took the end of a boiler, cut a hole in it,
            and welded on a steel plate with hinges to make a door.

            Any idea what kind of comms capability the bunker had?

            ...Albert
          • John Warne
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
              I remember seeing an article with a picture of the shelter some years ago
              in, if I recall correctly, one of those Sunday 'magazines' included with
              the local paper. I think I remember the picture showing an inside view of
              the thing.

              The article basically said, "Here's the previously secret shelter for the
              President in the Mass. area."

              I'd guess it was around 1970 or so.

              'Tis terrible to get an old brain <grin>.
            • Ryan C Blake
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                Hi list,

                This and several other messages like it must have been quite large,
                because I didn't get them. I have a basic Juno account and my
                incoming/outgoing messages are limited to 64k each.

                If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
                into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
                left out.

                Thanks,

                Ryan
              • falcon
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                  >If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
                  >into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
                  >left out.
                  >Thanks,
                  >Ryan

                  Sorry your kinda screwed... Their isn't a real good way to break up
                  attachments so they can be viewed via juno.

                  Rob