Re: Presidential shelter on Nantucket Island

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
      Thanks for the map, Mark.

      A local government web page mentions the Navy base, which is abandoned:

      http://www.nantucket.org/town/parkrec.html

      If the shelter was under the same authority as the Presidential Emergency
      Facilities in the Washington, DC area, it was probably built by the
      Chesapeake Division of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command (CHESDIV
      NAVFACENGCOM), which is now known as Engineering Field Activity Chesapeake
      (EFACHES). I have spoken with their Environmental Division, which
      participated in a 1988 environmental/safety study of the abandoned
      "Cannonball" relay station in Pennsylvania. They confirmed their
      involvement with what they called "the White House sites", but said all
      documentation about the sites is in the hands of the White House Military
      Office. The engineer who worked on the study said he couldn't discuss it
      without WHMO permission, and as expected, the WHMO has not provided any
      information.

      Another agency which might have relevant information is the U.S. Army Corps
      of Engineers, since they conduct surveys for possible hazards at former
      defense sites before they're sold or turned over to local governments.
      Their reports always include a history of the installation, and would
      probably mention the presidential shelter. I'll inquire about a report on
      the Nantucket base and post any information I receive.

      ...Albert
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
        At 11:16 AM 9/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >From: Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...>
        >
        >Mark,
        >Great map -- is that from an online source? Looks nicer than the ones at
        >HTI:

        I have a set of Toposcout CDROMS for most all of New England. Toposcout
        has a website, and a demo program you can download. I belileve they are
        attempting to put the entire US on CDROMS. I think they now call themselves
        Maptech.

        See: http://www.maptech.com/topo/index.html
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
          Apparently the place is called the "Tom Nevers Head Naval Facility" and is
          a Superfund site [a place determined by the Environmental Protection Agency
          to be a serious pollution hazard, with cleanup to be paid for by a special
          fund].

          http://www.cqs.com/super_ma.htm

          ...Albert
        • Mark Foster
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
            Bob Beauscher, of the Nantucket Parks and Recreation Dept reports that the
            bunker is currently being renovated as a club house for the Nantucket Hunt
            Club. He has documentation that both confirms and also denies that it was
            Kennedy's bunker. Her reports that the bunker has its own water and sewer
            system but no toilets.

            I have attached a pair of photos that the New England COE has in their files.

            In "The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963", Michael R.
            Beschloss writes about the 1961 Berlin crisis (p. 271):
            "Kennedy spent the weekend [Aug. 12-13, 1961] at Hyannis Port [Kennedy home
            on Cape Cod, in eastern Massachusetts], where [Special Assistant to the
            President for National Security Affairs McGeorge] Bundy gave him 'a
            checklist of the actions that you are obligated to take if and when you
            contemplate a decision on the use of nuclear weapons.' If nuclear war
            erupted while he was at his summer home, he was to be rushed to the new
            secret presidential fallout shelter on Nantucket Island [off the coast of
            Massachusetts]. Built under a forty-five-acre submarine surveillance base,
            the Navy disguised it as a 'jet assist takeoff fuel bottle storage area.'
            Outside the twelve-mile territorial limit, Soviet trawlers customarily
            tried to eavesdrop on communications between the presidential yachts and
            the 'Hyannis White House' command post onshore."

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
              Mark,

              Thanks for the info and photos - nice research!

              From the outside, the bunker appears surprisingly unsophisticated,
              contrasted with the Presidential Emergency Facilities like "Cannonball"
              which were also being built in the early 1960s or before, and with places
              like Mt. Weather and Site R. This is just speculation, but perhaps that's
              because the Nantucket bunker had to be built hastily, after Kennedy's
              election and specifically for him, while the other facilities in the DC
              area were planned for the long term to serve every president.

              I wonder if Jackie saw the thing, and what she would have said about it!
              The entrance looks like someone took the end of a boiler, cut a hole in it,
              and welded on a steel plate with hinges to make a door.

              Any idea what kind of comms capability the bunker had?

              ...Albert
            • John Warne
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                I remember seeing an article with a picture of the shelter some years ago
                in, if I recall correctly, one of those Sunday 'magazines' included with
                the local paper. I think I remember the picture showing an inside view of
                the thing.

                The article basically said, "Here's the previously secret shelter for the
                President in the Mass. area."

                I'd guess it was around 1970 or so.

                'Tis terrible to get an old brain <grin>.
              • Ryan C Blake
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                  Hi list,

                  This and several other messages like it must have been quite large,
                  because I didn't get them. I have a basic Juno account and my
                  incoming/outgoing messages are limited to 64k each.

                  If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
                  into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
                  left out.

                  Thanks,

                  Ryan
                • falcon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                    >If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
                    >into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
                    >left out.
                    >Thanks,
                    >Ryan

                    Sorry your kinda screwed... Their isn't a real good way to break up
                    attachments so they can be viewed via juno.

                    Rob