Presidential shelter on Nantucket Island

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
      In "The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963", Michael R.
      Beschloss writes about the 1961 Berlin crisis (p. 271):

      "Kennedy spent the weekend [Aug. 12-13, 1961] at Hyannis Port [Kennedy home
      on Cape Cod, in eastern Massachusetts], where [Special Assistant to the
      President for National Security Affairs McGeorge] Bundy gave him 'a
      checklist of the actions that you are obligated to take if and when you
      contemplate a decision on the use of nuclear weapons.' If nuclear war
      erupted while he was at his summer home, he was to be rushed to the new
      secret presidential fallout shelter on Nantucket Island [off the coast of
      Massachusetts]. Built under a forty-five-acre submarine surveillance base,
      the Navy disguised it as a 'jet assist takeoff fuel bottle storage area.'

      Outside the twelve-mile territorial limit, Soviet trawlers customarily
      tried to eavesdrop on communications between the presidential yachts and
      the 'Hyannis White House' command post onshore."

      ...Albert
    • Mark Foster
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
        USGS map of area is attached.

        >"Kennedy spent the weekend [Aug. 12-13, 1961] at Hyannis Port [Kennedy home
        >on Cape Cod, in eastern Massachusetts], where [Special Assistant to the
        >President for National Security Affairs McGeorge] Bundy gave him 'a
        >checklist of the actions that you are obligated to take if and when you
        >contemplate a decision on the use of nuclear weapons.' If nuclear war
        >erupted while he was at his summer home, he was to be rushed to the new
        >secret presidential fallout shelter on Nantucket Island [off the coast of
        >Massachusetts]. Built under a forty-five-acre submarine surveillance base,
        >the Navy disguised it as a 'jet assist takeoff fuel bottle storage area.'
      • Scott Murdock
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
          Mark,
          Great map -- is that from an online source? Looks nicer than the ones at
          HTI:

          http://www.esri.com/data/online/hti/index.html

          Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
            Thanks for the map, Mark.

            A local government web page mentions the Navy base, which is abandoned:

            http://www.nantucket.org/town/parkrec.html

            If the shelter was under the same authority as the Presidential Emergency
            Facilities in the Washington, DC area, it was probably built by the
            Chesapeake Division of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command (CHESDIV
            NAVFACENGCOM), which is now known as Engineering Field Activity Chesapeake
            (EFACHES). I have spoken with their Environmental Division, which
            participated in a 1988 environmental/safety study of the abandoned
            "Cannonball" relay station in Pennsylvania. They confirmed their
            involvement with what they called "the White House sites", but said all
            documentation about the sites is in the hands of the White House Military
            Office. The engineer who worked on the study said he couldn't discuss it
            without WHMO permission, and as expected, the WHMO has not provided any
            information.

            Another agency which might have relevant information is the U.S. Army Corps
            of Engineers, since they conduct surveys for possible hazards at former
            defense sites before they're sold or turned over to local governments.
            Their reports always include a history of the installation, and would
            probably mention the presidential shelter. I'll inquire about a report on
            the Nantucket base and post any information I receive.

            ...Albert
          • Mark Foster
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
              At 11:16 AM 9/6/99 -0500, you wrote:
              >From: Scott Murdock <scott-murdock@...>
              >
              >Mark,
              >Great map -- is that from an online source? Looks nicer than the ones at
              >HTI:

              I have a set of Toposcout CDROMS for most all of New England. Toposcout
              has a website, and a demo program you can download. I belileve they are
              attempting to put the entire US on CDROMS. I think they now call themselves
              Maptech.

              See: http://www.maptech.com/topo/index.html
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 1999
                Apparently the place is called the "Tom Nevers Head Naval Facility" and is
                a Superfund site [a place determined by the Environmental Protection Agency
                to be a serious pollution hazard, with cleanup to be paid for by a special
                fund].

                http://www.cqs.com/super_ma.htm

                ...Albert
              • Mark Foster
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                  Bob Beauscher, of the Nantucket Parks and Recreation Dept reports that the
                  bunker is currently being renovated as a club house for the Nantucket Hunt
                  Club. He has documentation that both confirms and also denies that it was
                  Kennedy's bunker. Her reports that the bunker has its own water and sewer
                  system but no toilets.

                  I have attached a pair of photos that the New England COE has in their files.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                    Mark,

                    Thanks for the info and photos - nice research!

                    From the outside, the bunker appears surprisingly unsophisticated,
                    contrasted with the Presidential Emergency Facilities like "Cannonball"
                    which were also being built in the early 1960s or before, and with places
                    like Mt. Weather and Site R. This is just speculation, but perhaps that's
                    because the Nantucket bunker had to be built hastily, after Kennedy's
                    election and specifically for him, while the other facilities in the DC
                    area were planned for the long term to serve every president.

                    I wonder if Jackie saw the thing, and what she would have said about it!
                    The entrance looks like someone took the end of a boiler, cut a hole in it,
                    and welded on a steel plate with hinges to make a door.

                    Any idea what kind of comms capability the bunker had?

                    ...Albert
                  • John Warne
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                      I remember seeing an article with a picture of the shelter some years ago
                      in, if I recall correctly, one of those Sunday 'magazines' included with
                      the local paper. I think I remember the picture showing an inside view of
                      the thing.

                      The article basically said, "Here's the previously secret shelter for the
                      President in the Mass. area."

                      I'd guess it was around 1970 or so.

                      'Tis terrible to get an old brain <grin>.
                    • Ryan C Blake
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                        Hi list,

                        This and several other messages like it must have been quite large,
                        because I didn't get them. I have a basic Juno account and my
                        incoming/outgoing messages are limited to 64k each.

                        If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
                        into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
                        left out.

                        Thanks,

                        Ryan
                      • falcon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 10, 1999
                          >If there's any way possible, please shorten such messages or divide them
                          >into parts and send multiple messages. That way, us cheapskates won't be
                          >left out.
                          >Thanks,
                          >Ryan

                          Sorry your kinda screwed... Their isn't a real good way to break up
                          attachments so they can be viewed via juno.

                          Rob