Remote video pickup

  • Jim Innes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2003
      Just for the record, these local telco operated remote pickup arrangement
      were used well into the early 1990's. My old co. MicroNet used the former
      Vernon E.S. - 60 Hudson NYC - Philly - Baltimore - Tenley DC MW system for
      both full time and occassional video traffic, and there were lots of times
      when local Bell Atlantic personnel were setting up portable tripod mounted 2
      GHz radios (the latest version were mfr'd by Loral), and then feeding the
      analog signal into dedicated terminal stations at various locales (like
      Philly's Veteran Stadium), at telco sites (in Philly there was the Arch St.
      office tower, and the PSFS building) or "Stand Up Positions" which consisted
      of terminals inside weatherproof boxed flush mounted in the sidewalk near
      favorite locations for TV reporter stand up reports, such as in front of the
      White House, Independence Hall in Philly, etc. For the traffic that
      MicroNet carried, the analog signals were then sent locally on analog
      modulated fiber, with a little bit still on coax, and then handed off to
      MicroNet at the various MW terminal locations.

      Somewhere I have some photos of the former Bell of Pa Television Operating
      Center at 10 Light St. The had a 360 degree suite of rooms on the top floor
      below this building's pyramid shaped deco top, with balconies for temporary
      microwave, and a large open platform on the top. There was also a 20 tube
      coax cable running from the basement to the top. I'll see if I can locate
      them.

      Jim I