RE: White House Bunker

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 1999
      In "The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev, 1960-1963", Michael R.
      Beschloss writes about Jacqueline Kennedy (p. 476):

      "Early in her husband's Presidency, she had arranged to see the White House
      bomb shelter, built during World War II four levels below the state floor.
      When the door was opened, a small army of Signal Corps men sprang to their
      feet. She glanced in and quickly left. 'How amazing! I didn't expect to
      find so much humanity! I thought it would be a great big room that we
      could use as an indoor recreation room for the children. I even had plans
      for a basketball court in there.'

      Now the President asked his wife whether she wished to go to the
      government's great artificial cavern in the mountains. With her unerring
      sense of both history and drama, she told him that if nuclear war began she
      preferred to come over to the Oval Office and share whatever happened to
      him."

      ...Albert