Re: Possible L-1 repeater site?

  • Mark Foster
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
      Are there any indications of L carrier leading to or from the building?

      At 08:40 PM 4/4/99 -0500, Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP wrote:
      >Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
      >Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
      >years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
      >I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
      >to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
      >service).
      >
      >Any assistance is appreciated.
      >--
      >Matthew, KF4LHP ICQ: 6280641
      >Web: http://www.qsl.net/kf4lhp/ EMail: kf4lhp@...

    • Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
        Dave Emery wrote:

        > From: Dave Emery <die@...>
        >
        > On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 08:40:11PM -0500, Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP wrote:
        > > Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
        > > Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
        > > years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
        > > I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
        > > to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
        > > service).
        >
        > Looks like a fairly modern repeater facility for something.
        > The building does not look old enough to be a repeater for an early
        > L cable, but it is remotely possibly a repeater for a relatively
        > recent one (L4 or L5), These usually had marked cable runs going
        > to and from them, so if yours does not it might have been something
        > else.
        >
        > I have seen fiber repeater sites that look like your picture
        > around here in the NE.. along with wells, sewer and water facilites
        > and the like and radio facilities if there is a tower...
        >
        > The L cable buildings I have seen mostly looked older than
        > your picture, with some architectural details characteristic of the
        > 50s and 60s that don't match your pix...

        I think I'm going to agree with the guess that this was something owned
        by BellSouth or Ooltewah-Collegedale Telephone Company and was used as
        an inter-office trunk repeater site. My original message was kinda
        lacking, but here's the reasons I think it's telecomms-related:

        - There is a 500 to 600 foot mountain ridge about 2 to 3 miles east of
        this site with at least two water tanks, so it wouldn't be for water.
        - No sewer system has been installed in the area, so I'd rule that out
        as well.

        Anyway, getting back to the possibility that it was used by the local
        telcos, BellSouth is the primary carrier, except for a small pocket in
        SE Hamilton County (TN) outside of Chattanooga, where
        Ooltewah-Collegedale Telephone Company owned 3 exchanges (they've since
        been sold off to Century Telephone about 4 or 5 years ago, not exactly
        sure when). I remember about 10 years ago that the site was being
        maintained, so I'm guessing that this may have been for trunks between
        OCTC and BellSouth or that it may have been exclusively for BellSouth
        trunks between Chattanooga, TN and Cleveland, TN.

        Appreciate everyone's help.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 1999
          Mark Foster wrote:

          > From: Mark Foster <mfoster@...>
          >
          > Are there any indications of L carrier leading to or from the building?
          >
          > At 08:40 PM 4/4/99 -0500, Matthew Sadler, KF4LHP wrote:
          > >Attached is a picture of an abandoned building located north of
          > >Chattanooga, TN. This site has been abandoned for at least a few
          > >years... I know it wasn't used for water/sewer purposes in the past, so
          > >I'm thinking this may have been used on the L-1 route from Chattanooga
          > >to Knoxville (or for some other long distance or local telephone
          > >service).

          Didn't see any cable markers or anything, but I know that AT&T cut down
          the cable markers along the portion of the route that I am familiar
          with, so that doesn't help much... just some local telco underground
          boxes and such, but they appear to be new work.