Re: [coldwarcomms]

  • Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
      Brad,

      Here is my web site based on my visit to Morgantown a couple
      years ago.

      http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/morgantown/morgantown.htm

      For more on what this site does/did, see the other pages:

      http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/
      http://radio.ee.psu.edu/longlines/

      For those that haven't seen the inside of one of these bunkers,
      there is a link from the longlines page to my VR tour of the small L4
      bunker at Finland, PA.

      These pages show the inside of the AT&T bunkers at Attica and
      Clarksville, NY, which are similar in size to Morgantown:
      http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/clarksville/clarksville.html
      http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/attica/attica.html

      The site today serves as a fiber optic repeater and transmission
      station, where circuits are patched between various long-distcance
      fiber cables (now done using a digital switch called a DACS). It
      may also contain a 4ESS long distance switch, or a STP/SCP
      control point for controlling switches, or some other special
      equipment for data or other communications networks operated by
      AT&T. I don't have specific information on what is in that bunker
      today, but those would be my educated guess as to its function.

      See some of the maps on my maps page for more information on
      what the network looked like when it was based on coax and radio.
      I do not have an accurate map of current AT&T fiber routes (and
      would not post such a map if I did in today's enviroment).

      Mike

      Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
      Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
      Penn State University
      State College, PA
    • blitz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
        Sounds like one of the many thousand data centers that have been converted
        to fiber optics (FO) over the years. Nothing unusual, nothing noteworthy.
        Most are remotely monitored these days. The early generator starts may be
        strikes within the area. its common practice to use backup power in
        sensitive sites to pre-empt any outages. The few gallons of fuel beat any
        possibility of outages, especially if site power consumption is near
        battery capacity. Its far better to know the gennys are up and running
        before bad weather takes the AC mains down. It could also be routine
        generator running in response to timed exercise events. Are the genny
        starts taking place on a timetable, like 9am mondays, every week? That
        would indicate timed events. Pre-starts just before bad weather at random
        times would indicate lightning detection/pre-emptive starts.

        Do you have pictures?