  • Bradley Stone
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
      Folks:
      I've been on this group for over a year now watching behind the scenes. I'm
      really impressed with the RF expertise and passion you all have.

      I live next to a large ATT microwave relay tower just north of Morgantown,
      IN. It was built around 1967.

      When I was a kid, I remember the "hubub" it caused in this rural area;
      trucks tore up the county road. There was an open house upon its
      completion. I rode my bicycle there to investigate, and remember being
      amazed by the electronics, size, nuclear blast protection, etc. In fact, it
      influenced me in my subsequent career choice (electronics).

      About 3 years ago, a lot of work was done on it, both above and below
      ground. The field in back of our home was attacked in favor of fiber optic
      lines. New generators fire up in the night before a storm.

      My question is this: what does this place do? Where does it fit on the
      grand scheme of things? Am I sitting next to something of big or small
      importance?

      -Brad Stone, NB9M
      Morgantown, IN

      deserve neither liberty nor safety."
      Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.
    • Mike Jacobs
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
        Brad,

        Here is my web site based on my visit to Morgantown a couple
        years ago.

        http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/morgantown/morgantown.htm

        For more on what this site does/did, see the other pages:

        http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/
        http://radio.ee.psu.edu/longlines/

        For those that haven't seen the inside of one of these bunkers,
        there is a link from the longlines page to my VR tour of the small L4
        bunker at Finland, PA.

        These pages show the inside of the AT&T bunkers at Attica and
        Clarksville, NY, which are similar in size to Morgantown:
        http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/clarksville/clarksville.html
        http://radio.ee.psu.edu/l5/attica/attica.html

        The site today serves as a fiber optic repeater and transmission
        station, where circuits are patched between various long-distcance
        fiber cables (now done using a digital switch called a DACS). It
        may also contain a 4ESS long distance switch, or a STP/SCP
        control point for controlling switches, or some other special
        equipment for data or other communications networks operated by
        AT&T. I don't have specific information on what is in that bunker
        today, but those would be my educated guess as to its function.

        See some of the maps on my maps page for more information on
        what the network looked like when it was based on coax and radio.
        I do not have an accurate map of current AT&T fiber routes (and
        would not post such a map if I did in today's enviroment).

        Mike

        Mike Jacobs, N3MJ
        Antenna and RF Engineering Laboratory
        Penn State University
        State College, PA
      • blitz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2003
          Sounds like one of the many thousand data centers that have been converted
          to fiber optics (FO) over the years. Nothing unusual, nothing noteworthy.
          Most are remotely monitored these days. The early generator starts may be
          strikes within the area. its common practice to use backup power in
          sensitive sites to pre-empt any outages. The few gallons of fuel beat any
          possibility of outages, especially if site power consumption is near
          battery capacity. Its far better to know the gennys are up and running
          before bad weather takes the AC mains down. It could also be routine
          generator running in response to timed exercise events. Are the genny
          starts taking place on a timetable, like 9am mondays, every week? That
          would indicate timed events. Pre-starts just before bad weather at random
          times would indicate lightning detection/pre-emptive starts.

          Do you have pictures?