Re: [coldwarcomms] Lack of Redundancy

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2003
      That's definitely a cause for concern and a difficult issue to deal with in
      today's deregulated telecom environment, without the "stick" of
      government-mandated reliability levels and the corresponding "carrot" of a
      guaranteed return on the needed investment.

      This particular incident, though, sounds like something which would have
      been more-or-less equally probable in the Bell System era. The CenturyTel
      cable appears to be what would have been called a toll-connecting and
      toll-completing trunk; that is, the interface between the local BOC and the
      Long Lines network. The Bell System maps I've seen show many small and
      not-so-small towns had only a single link to the long-haul system.