Re: [coldwarcomms] Re: CJCSAN

  • roadhogg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
      > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made reference
      > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate command
      > center (Site R).

      Could be to that the document is referring to the various "alternate
      commands" that were out in the "field" too (CINCSAC and CINCSAC Alt comes to
      mind).

      More than one "alternate command centers" (re Site R)? Boy that would be a
      mess of CCSD's to keep track of.

      Rick

    • hooligan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2003
        In a message dated 1/4/2003 3:02:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        rickchem@... writes:

        > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made reference to
        >
        > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate command
        > center (Site R).

        I haven't read the document in question, but Site-R has always housed the
        Alternate National Military Command Center, though the National Military
        Command System is comprised of numerous facilities capable system &
        personnel-wise of functioning as alternates to the ANMCC. The two E-4B
        aircraft on Nightwatch alert status are obvious examples. It seems like the
        US Strategic Command Command Center (& thus it's own alternates -- the
        Commander's Mobile Alternate Headquarters, and the E-6B Looking Glass) has
        evolved in the past 7 or 8 years from a fairly specific SIOP mission to the
        more broad NMCS role, as has the US Space Command Combat Ops Center at
        Cheyenne Mountain AFB and it's Commander's Mobile Alternate HQ.

        HOWEVER, some of the subscribers on the CJCSAN are NMCS-support centers
        only, not full NCA Command Centers, for example, NORAD's Space Defense
        Operations Center would certainly need to be a participant in a Missile
        Display Conference, yet it isn't a full NMCS alternate command center capable
        of commanding & controlling SIOP forces.

        In the 1980s, a typical type of NCA strategic connectivity check via the
        JCSAN that I'm familiar with would involve a conference with a little under
        40 emergency action consoles around the world.

        Tim
        TDY in beautiful Santa Cruz, California!

      • ozob99 <ozob99@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, hooligan@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 1/4/2003 3:02:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          > rickchem@h... writes:
          >
          > > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made
          reference to

          > > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate
          command
          > > center (Site R).
          >

          > I haven't read the document in question, but Site-R has always
          housed the
          > Alternate National Military Command Center, though the National
          Military
          > Command System is comprised of numerous facilities capable system &
          > personnel-wise of functioning as alternates to the ANMCC. The two
          E-4B
          > aircraft on Nightwatch alert status are obvious examples. It seems
          like the
          > US Strategic Command Command Center (& thus it's own alternates --
          the
          > Commander's Mobile Alternate Headquarters, and the E-6B Looking
          Glass) has
          > evolved in the past 7 or 8 years from a fairly specific SIOP mission
          to the
          > more broad NMCS role, as has the US Space Command Combat Ops Center
          at
          > Cheyenne Mountain AFB and it's Commander's Mobile Alternate HQ.
          >
          > HOWEVER, some of the subscribers on the CJCSAN are NMCS-support
          centers
          > only, not full NCA Command Centers, for example, NORAD's Space
          Defense
          > Operations Center would certainly need to be a participant in a
          Missile
          > Display Conference, yet it isn't a full NMCS alternate command
          center capable
          > of commanding & controlling SIOP forces.
          >
          > In the 1980s, a typical type of NCA strategic connectivity check
          via the
          > JCSAN that I'm familiar with would involve a conference with a
          little under
          > 40 emergency action consoles around the world.

          For those interested in a list of & evolution of the commands(CINCS)
          referenced above thru 1993 check out this document:

          http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/history/ucp.pdf