CJCSAN

  • ozob99 <ozob99@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
      According to this page
      http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/cjcsd/cjcsi/3420_01a.pdf

      the former JCSAN(Joint Chiefs of Staff Alerting Network)is now CJCSAN,
      adding "Chairman" Joint Chiefs of Staff Alerting Network.

      Anyone know when this happened, & why?...seems like an ego thing.

      The document states it is not(engineeered)secure like the companion
      WWSVCS, but with STU-3 phones it could be; the original JCSAN from the
      1960's was C2 conditioned so that VOCODER's of that era could be used.
    • Rick C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
        Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made reference to
        "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate command
        center (Site R).
        Also, I wonder if the system is fully automated, or if AT&T techs still
        monitor all the CJCSAN conferences as they did in analog days, or in any
        capacity at all, such as an operator.

      • ozob99 <ozob99@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
          > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made
          reference to
          > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate
          command
          > center (Site R).
          > Also, I wonder if the system is fully automated, or if AT&T techs
          still
          > monitor all the CJCSAN conferences as they did in analog days, or in
          any
          > capacity at all, such as an operator.

          I'd guess its mostly automated & no longer a need for frequent
          monitoring in the relatively trouble free digital domain except on
          trouble reports or on request.

          The "centers" may be an oversight that confirms speculation about
          mobile and/or other fixed alternates.
        • roadhogg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2003
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Rick C." <rickchem@h...> wrote:
            > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made reference
            > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate command
            > center (Site R).

            Could be to that the document is referring to the various "alternate
            commands" that were out in the "field" too (CINCSAC and CINCSAC Alt comes to
            mind).

            More than one "alternate command centers" (re Site R)? Boy that would be a
            mess of CCSD's to keep track of.

            Rick

          • hooligan@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2003
              In a message dated 1/4/2003 3:02:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              rickchem@... writes:

              > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made reference to
              >
              > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate command
              > center (Site R).

              I haven't read the document in question, but Site-R has always housed the
              Alternate National Military Command Center, though the National Military
              Command System is comprised of numerous facilities capable system &
              personnel-wise of functioning as alternates to the ANMCC. The two E-4B
              aircraft on Nightwatch alert status are obvious examples. It seems like the
              US Strategic Command Command Center (& thus it's own alternates -- the
              Commander's Mobile Alternate Headquarters, and the E-6B Looking Glass) has
              evolved in the past 7 or 8 years from a fairly specific SIOP mission to the
              more broad NMCS role, as has the US Space Command Combat Ops Center at
              Cheyenne Mountain AFB and it's Commander's Mobile Alternate HQ.

              HOWEVER, some of the subscribers on the CJCSAN are NMCS-support centers
              only, not full NCA Command Centers, for example, NORAD's Space Defense
              Operations Center would certainly need to be a participant in a Missile
              Display Conference, yet it isn't a full NMCS alternate command center capable
              of commanding & controlling SIOP forces.

              In the 1980s, a typical type of NCA strategic connectivity check via the
              JCSAN that I'm familiar with would involve a conference with a little under
              40 emergency action consoles around the world.

              Tim
              TDY in beautiful Santa Cruz, California!

            • ozob99 <ozob99@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2003
                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, hooligan@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 1/4/2003 3:02:23 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                > rickchem@h... writes:
                >
                > > Not much technical in that document, but I noticed that it made
                reference to

                > > "alternate command centers", rather than the singular alternate
                command
                > > center (Site R).
                >

                > I haven't read the document in question, but Site-R has always
                housed the
                > Alternate National Military Command Center, though the National
                Military
                > Command System is comprised of numerous facilities capable system &
                > personnel-wise of functioning as alternates to the ANMCC. The two
                E-4B
                > aircraft on Nightwatch alert status are obvious examples. It seems
                like the
                > US Strategic Command Command Center (& thus it's own alternates --
                the
                > Commander's Mobile Alternate Headquarters, and the E-6B Looking
                Glass) has
                > evolved in the past 7 or 8 years from a fairly specific SIOP mission
                to the
                > more broad NMCS role, as has the US Space Command Combat Ops Center
                at
                > Cheyenne Mountain AFB and it's Commander's Mobile Alternate HQ.
                >
                > HOWEVER, some of the subscribers on the CJCSAN are NMCS-support
                centers
                > only, not full NCA Command Centers, for example, NORAD's Space
                Defense
                > Operations Center would certainly need to be a participant in a
                Missile
                > Display Conference, yet it isn't a full NMCS alternate command
                center capable
                > of commanding & controlling SIOP forces.
                >
                > In the 1980s, a typical type of NCA strategic connectivity check
                via the
                > JCSAN that I'm familiar with would involve a conference with a
                little under
                > 40 emergency action consoles around the world.

                For those interested in a list of & evolution of the commands(CINCS)
                referenced above thru 1993 check out this document:

                http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/history/ucp.pdf