Re: Horns

  • dsss_communications <dsss_communications
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 1, 2003
      I spent New Years day traveling around the Montana countryside and -
      what else - blew the whole day visiting old AT&T microwave sites.
      Far better than waking up with a hangover!

      While at one site, I took some time to study the ubiquitous diplexer
      that is housed under the mesh ice shield at the bottom of the tower.
      As I examined it I noticed three sizes of waveguide running up to the
      diplexer. Further inspection revealed that the single, circular
      waveguide running up to the KS-15676 horn was carrying 4, 6 AND 11
      GHz signals! On top of that, they were using both polarization modes
      for all three frequencies which resulted in 6 waveguides feeding into
      a single diplexer..., er triplexer, in this case.

      Now, I realize that one must stay away from the lower cutoff mode in
      a waveguide but I never thought that you could get acceptable
      performance from a low-frequency waveguide at appreciably higher
      frequencies. AT&T engineers managed to do this. I seriously doubt
      if any of the younger microwave engineers coming out of school
      nowadays would even think of tackling a project like this.

      Of course, they did dedicate each horn for either transmitting or
      receiving (which is the reason for two horns pointing in one
      direction for each route) so I guess things must have been behaving
      well enough to allow such a wide frequency spread. This must also
      have been made possible when AT&T was allowed to increase their
      transmit power from 0.5 watts to 5.0 watts in 1973 which would have
      overcome any system losses incurred from such a feat.

      Greg

      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Albert LaFrance"
      <albertjlafrance@c...> wrote:
      > The KS-15676 horn-reflector described in the BSP is the most
      commonly-seen
      > antenna at former Long Lines sites. I don't think 2 GHz links were
      ever a
      > substantial part of the network. The original AT&T long-haul
      microwave
      > links were in the 4 GHz band (using Western Electric TD-series
      equipment).
      > Later, 6 GHz (TH-series) radios were installed as "overbuilds" to
      provide
      > additional capacity on certain routes. 11 GHz radios were also
      added on
      > some routes for short-haul service.
      >
      > The horn-reflector antenna could accommodate all three of these
      bands, in
      > two polarizations. Some AT&T stations had conical horn-reflectors
      of the
      > type made by Andrew, Gabriel Electronics, and Antennas for
      Communications.
      > I believe these had similar performance specs to the KS-15676.
      >
      > Regarding weight of the pyramidal horn-reflector, I've heard various
      > figures. Some AT&T publications say about 2,000 lb., while another
      BSP
      > gives a shipping weight of about 3,500 lb. A tower contractor on
      the
      > Tower-Pro list measured one at 5,000 lb. on his crane's load
      indicator; I
      > believe that included an expanded-metal ice shield and frame.
      >
      > I was given some dimensional drawings of the horn which I'll post.
      I know

    • s92187 <tmichaels@tower-sites.com>
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications
        <dsss_communications@y...>" <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
        > I spent New Years day traveling around the Montana countryside and -

        > Now, I realize that one must stay away from the lower cutoff mode
        in
        > a waveguide but I never thought that you could get acceptable
        > performance from a low-frequency waveguide at appreciably higher
        > frequencies. AT&T engineers managed to do this. I seriously doubt
        > if any of the younger microwave engineers coming out of school
        > nowadays would even think of tackling a project like this.
        >

        > Greg

        Hi Greg:

        You can certainly run higher frequencies through a given run of
        waveguide, in fact the loss due to adsorption/attenuation decreases
        as you go higher from the lower cutoff frequency, which is an
        advantage. Where you get into trouble is multimoding, which
        unfortunately gets worse as you go higher in frequency. A bend in
        the waveguide, or a discontinuity at a joint between waveguide
        sections, can cause mode conversion from the dominant mode to higher
        modes. To avoid this AT&T took great care to keep the vertical
        waveguide runs on their towers as straight as possible, any bends at
        all must be done as gradual, sweeping curves. If the rate of
        curvature in a given length of waveguide is gentle enough, mode
        conversion is avoided, even up to 11 GHz. If you look up from the
        base of one of their towers, that is exactly what you see: the
        waveguide from the bottom of the horn antenna runs straight down
        until it meets the side of the tower, at that point it then gradually
        bends outward to match the slope of the tower face, and then runs
        parallel to the tower down to the bottom. Any residual mode
        conversion was usually cleaned up by inserting a mode filter into the
        waveguide run at one end.

        Terry Michaels
      • Paul J Zawada <paul_zawada@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hi Greg...

          Did you happen to take any photos of that 3-band triplexer? A while
          back I put a couple of photos of a dual-polarization, dual-band (4-
          GHz and 6-GHz) circular-to-rectangular transition (diplexer) in the
          files area of the Yahoo Groups coldwarcomms page. (It's in the Files
          > Equipment directory) Unfortunately, I've never taken photos of the
          3-band unit... It would be interesting to compare the two. That
          triplexer must be one long piece of hardware!

          I have to agree, the passive microwave networks are arguably the
          neatest pieces of hardware that Bell Labs/WECo developed for the Long
          Lines microwave network. They certainly don't build them like that
          anymore!

          --zawada

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s92187 <tmichaels@t...>"
            <tmichaels@t...> wrote:
            > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "dsss_communications
            > <dsss_communications@y...>" <dsss_communications@y...> wrote:
            > > I spent New Years day traveling around the Montana countryside
            and -

            > > Now, I realize that one must stay away from the lower cutoff mode
            > in
            > > a waveguide but I never thought that you could get acceptable
            > > performance from a low-frequency waveguide at appreciably higher
            > > frequencies. AT&T engineers managed to do this. I seriously
            doubt
            > > if any of the younger microwave engineers coming out of school
            > > nowadays would even think of tackling a project like this.
            > >

            > > Greg
            > >

            > Hi Greg:
            >
            > You can certainly run higher frequencies through a given run of
            > waveguide, in fact the loss due to adsorption/attenuation decreases
            > as you go higher from the lower cutoff frequency, which is an
            > advantage. Where you get into trouble is multimoding, which
            > unfortunately gets worse as you go higher in frequency. A bend in
            > the waveguide, or a discontinuity at a joint between waveguide
            > sections, can cause mode conversion from the dominant mode to
            higher
            > modes. To avoid this AT&T took great care to keep the vertical
            > waveguide runs on their towers as straight as possible, any bends
            at
            > all must be done as gradual, sweeping curves. If the rate of
            > curvature in a given length of waveguide is gentle enough, mode
            > conversion is avoided, even up to 11 GHz. If you look up from the
            > base of one of their towers, that is exactly what you see: the
            > waveguide from the bottom of the horn antenna runs straight down
            > until it meets the side of the tower, at that point it then
            gradually
            > bends outward to match the slope of the tower face, and then runs
            > parallel to the tower down to the bottom. Any residual mode
            > conversion was usually cleaned up by inserting a mode filter into
            the
            > waveguide run at one end.
            >
            > Terry Michaels

            Thanks, Terry!

            I now understand the reason for the careful straight runs.

            Another interesting observation is that they never brazed any of
            their circular waveguide to the flanges. Each end was threaded and
            screwed on to each flange using a reasonably fine thread. You cannot
            see the transition from the waveguide to the flange unless you look
            very carefully. These people worked hard to assure the best match
            throughout the system.

            Greg
          • dsss_communications <dsss_communications
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 2, 2003

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 2, 2003
                Paul:

                I did, as a matter of fact but trying to shoot through the ice shield
                left me with nothing but a ghostly outline of the plumbing. I am
                going to return to the site soon hopefully with AT&T staff and try to
                get a few more detailed shots. I would like to swing open one of the
                shields to expose one of the triplexers. I estimate each unit to be
                approximately 25 to 30 feet long although it is tough to tell with
                the jumble of waveguide plumbing up inside the shield.

                I found out today that AT&T still owns the site and apparently has
                intentions of keeping it for some reason although it appears to have
                been entirely shut down. Although American Tower has it on their
                books, they cannot sell it. There are possibly active cables
                traversing under the site because I see numerous manholes out in the
                weeds.

                I am awaiting a call back to see if I can gain access to the inside
                of the building for more photos. It is 16,000 square feet and, from
                what I am gathering, was abandoned in place. There's a rumor that
                this building housed a large switch, possibly for the old AUTOVON
                network (we currently have 200 active nuclear missles in their holes
                up here so the military has a large presence) and was also the
                central switching point for all of the routes to other parts of the
                state. That would explain its sheer size. This would be a
                tremendous visit if everything were there but not operating.

                AT&T currently uses the parking lot and outbuildings for storage
                purposes for their fiber operations. I could find no signs of
                traffic into or out of the main building (i.e., dried and rotting
                door sweeps that haven't been moved, small gravel jammed under the
                doors, old decomposing cow pies in front of doors that swing out,
                etc.).

                Stay tuned!

                Greg

                --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J Zawada

                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 7, 2003
                  Yet another neat feature of the waveguide system was the "axial ratio
                  compensator", a manually-adjusted mechanical component used to improve
                  cross-polarization discrimination (interference between horizontally and
                  vertically polarized signals at the same frequency) by controlled squeezing
                  of the circular waveguide.

                  It's also interesting to note that, in addition to rectangular and circular
                  waveguide, the RF system included a short section of square waveguide
                  (actually a square-to-circular transition) at the top of the system
                  combining network.

                  And as if that weren't enough complexity, keep in mind that each of the 4
                  and 6 GHz rectangular waveguides feeding those combining networks usually
                  was connected to multiple radios inside the building (up to 12 radios for a
                  4 GHz system), each radio being coupled to the waveguide by a complex
                  four-armed network called a "channel separation filter".

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 7, 2003
                    Thank you for your expansion on the waveguide issue! I am still
                    learning about more of the "fine tuning" of the system.

                    The horn reflector antenna and associated circular waveguide came
                    into being around 1955 when AT&T engineers were working on
                    overbuilding the 6 GHz TH-1 system on the 4 GHz TD-2 system that was
                    already in place. That increased the system capacity from 6000 VF
                    channels to 16,800 VF channels using both systems.

                    There is a good, but simple, schematic layout of the equipment
                    required in a typical microwave hop in the book "Engineering and
                    Operations in the Bell System", 2/E. I have what I believe is the
                    last version of this book which was printed in 1984. It seems that
                    Bell Labs wanted to keep a considerable amount of System history in
                    the book but did talk about divestiture. In the book, the writers
                    referred to the channel separation filters as "channel combining
                    networks" on the TX end and "channel separation networks" on the RX
                    end.

                    <albertjlafrance@c...> wrote:
                    > Yet another neat feature of the waveguide system was the "axial
                    ratio
                    > compensator", a manually-adjusted mechanical component used to
                    improve
                    > cross-polarization discrimination (interference between
                    horizontally and
                    > vertically polarized signals at the same frequency) by controlled
                    squeezing
                    > of the circular waveguide.
                    >
                    > It's also interesting to note that, in addition to rectangular and
                    circular
                    > waveguide, the RF system included a short section of square
                    waveguide
                    > (actually a square-to-circular transition) at the top of the system
                    > combining network.
                    >
                    > And as if that weren't enough complexity, keep in mind that each of
                    the 4
                    > and 6 GHz rectangular waveguides feeding those combining networks
                    usually
                    > was connected to multiple radios inside the building (up to 12
                    radios for a
                    > 4 GHz system), each radio being coupled to the waveguide by a
                    complex
                    > four-armed network called a "channel separation filter".
                    >
                    > Albert

                  • Jeremy

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 8, 2003
                        Yes, that would be a treasure..

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 8, 2003
                          An electronic copy of Engineering and Operations in the Bell System
                          would be great. Unfortunately the book is something like 700+ pages.
                          Even if someone were willing to sacrifice a copy to be cut out of the
                          binding to feed through a sheet-fed scanner, it would take a while to
                          to scan and organize into a multi-CD document... (That's assuming
                          you could AT&T and/or Lucent's permission to take on a project like
                          that in the first place...)

                          Fortunately the book pops up on eBay somewhat often. I've seen them
                          go for anywhere between $20 and $100+. The final price depends what
                          kind of mood people are in I guess. If you're not patient enough to
                          wait for it to come around on eBay, I found a bunch of hits on
                          http://www.abebooks.com ... Some of the prices are even reasonable!
                          ( http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL?
                          an=&tn=engineering+operations+bell+system&ph=2 )

                          Finally if you're really serious about Bell System era technology,
                          you really should own _both_ editions of the book. The second
                          edition was significantly rewritten- so while there is some
                          overlapping information, there is a lot of unique stuff in each
                          individual edition. The first edition (white jacket) was orignally
                          published in 1977 (IIRC) and the second edition (orange jacket) was
                          originally published in 1982. Each was printed many times.

                          --zawada

                          --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@m...> wrote:
                          > Yes, that would be a treasure..
                          >

                          > At 22:20 1/7/03 -0800, you wrote:
                          > >Is that a publication that could be scanned and emailed or put
                          > >up on a website? At least the microwave info?
                          > >Thanks
                          > >Jeremy
                          > > There is a good, but simple, schematic layout of the equipment
                          > > required in a typical microwave hop in the book "Engineering and
                          > > Operations in the Bell System", 2/E. I have what I believe is
                          the
                          > > last version of this book which was printed in 1984.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Jeremy
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 8, 2003
                            Paul
                            Thanks for the info, didnt't realize it was so big. I checked out the link, quite a few hits. Some copies were selling for $350(Yow) Have to save my pennies and order one of the less expensive ones.
                            Jeremy
                            An electronic copy of Engineering and Operations in the Bell System
                            would be great. Unfortunately the book is something like 700+ pages.
                            Even if someone were willing to sacrifice a copy to be cut out of the
                            binding to feed through a sheet-fed scanner, it would take a while to
                            to scan and organize into a multi-CD document... (That's assuming
                            you could AT&T and/or Lucent's permission to take on a project like
                            that in the first place...)

                            Fortunately the book pops up on eBay somewhat often. I've seen them
                            go for anywhere between $20 and $100+. The final price depends what
                            kind of mood people are in I guess. If you're not patient enough to
                            wait for it to come around on eBay, I found a bunch of hits on
                            http://www.abebooks.com ... Some of the prices are even reasonable!
                            ( http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL?
                            an=&tn=engineering+operations+bell+system&ph=2 )

                            Finally if you're really serious about Bell System era technology,
                            you really should own _both_ editions of the book. The second
                            edition was significantly rewritten- so while there is some
                            overlapping information, there is a lot of unique stuff in each
                            individual edition. The first edition (white jacket) was orignally
                            published in 1977 (IIRC) and the second edition (orange jacket) was
                            originally published in 1982. Each was printed many times.

                            --zawada

                            --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, blitz <blitz@m...> wrote:
                            > Yes, that would be a treasure..
                            >

                            > At 22:20 1/7/03 -0800, you wrote:
                            > >Is that a publication that could be scanned and emailed or put
                            > >up on a website? At least the microwave info?
                            > >Thanks
                            > >Jeremy
                            > > There is a good, but simple, schematic layout of the equipment
                            > > required in a typical microwave hop in the book "Engineering and
                            > > Operations in the Bell System", 2/E. I have what I believe is
                            the
                            > > last version of this book which was printed in 1984.

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • s92187 <tmichaels@tower-sites.com>
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 9, 2003
                              I've just uploaded a photo labelled "Waveguide_run" to the Equipment
                              folder in the Files section, this photo shows the gentle curves
                              incorporated into the vertical runs of circular waveguide on an AT&T
                              tower, a subject that was discussed here recently. The photo was
                              taken at a 250 foot type H tower at Mendota, IL.

                              Terry Michaels
                            • bd6xray <bd6xray@lycos.com>
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 9, 2003
                                <tmichaels@t...> wrote:
                                > I've just uploaded a photo labelled "Waveguide_run" to the
                                Equipment
                                > folder in the Files section, this photo shows the gentle curves
                                > incorporated into the vertical runs of circular waveguide on an
                                AT&T
                                > tower, a subject that was discussed here recently. The photo was
                                > taken at a 250 foot type H tower at Mendota, IL.
                                >
                                > Terry Michaels

                                Interesting how one of the horns is painted and the other, at the
                                same height, is not.

                                Al Hajny
                              • s92187 <tmichaels@tower-sites.com>
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 9, 2003
                                  --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "bd6xray <bd6xray@l...>"
                                  <bd6xray@l...> wrote:
                                  > --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "s92187 <tmichaels@t...>"
                                  > <tmichaels@t...> wrote:
                                  > > I've just uploaded a photo labelled "Waveguide_run" to the
                                  > Equipment
                                  > > folder in the Files section, this photo shows the gentle curves
                                  > > incorporated into the vertical runs of circular waveguide on an
                                  > AT&T
                                  > > tower, a subject that was discussed here recently. The photo was
                                  > > taken at a 250 foot type H tower at Mendota, IL.
                                  > >
                                  > > Terry Michaels
                                  >
                                  > Interesting how one of the horns is painted and the other, at the
                                  > same height, is not.
                                  >
                                  > Al Hajny

                                  Hi Al:

                                  I'm not sure why one horn antenna is not painted. One possibility
                                  is, a horn became damaged, and AT&T replaced it with a new, unpainted
                                  one, at some point in time after the tower was strobed and painting
                                  the horn to match was no longer necessary.

                                  I've seen a few other examples of unpainted horns on painted towers,
                                  or painted horns on unpainted towers. Kewanee IL is an example of
                                  the latter, I'll post a photo of that one tomorrow.

                                  Terry Michaels
                                • s92187 <tmichaels@tower-sites.com>
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 10, 2003
                                    <tmichaels@t...> wrote:

                                    > I've seen a few other examples of unpainted horns on painted
                                    towers,
                                    > or painted horns on unpainted towers. Kewanee IL is an example of
                                    > the latter, I'll post a photo of that one tomorrow.
                                    >
                                    > Terry Michaels

                                    As promised, I've uploaded a photo of the AT&T tower at Kewanee, it
                                    can be found in the Photos section, in a folder labeled Kewanee.

                                    Terry Michaels
                                  • Tom <wr7agt@earthlink.net>
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 24, 2003
                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, David Lesher <wb8foz@n...> wrote:
                                      > Err..
                                      > <http://longlines.addr.com/tech-equip/radio/BSP402421100/p01.html>
                                      > is for 4Ghz/6/11 horns.
                                      >
                                      > I suspect most out there are 2Ghz.
                                      >
                                      > Plus, I was disappointed not to find what I really wanted --
                                      > size and weight of one!
                                      =

                                      Well here you go. The antenna by itself, no clamps, no brackets or
                                      other external items weighs in at the local Salvage scales aqt 1750
                                      pounds, plus or minus a few between antennas.

                                      Tom
                                    • Radioman390@cs.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 18, 2009
                                        Maybe the horns were raised to get them away from the building. As far as I can tell, the aim across the Hudson River, but there's nothing between them except a park, so if they were built to overcome an obstruction, that blockage must have been on the Jersey side.

                                        If the horns were recently raised, where were they before? In the open "windows" below the lattice?

                                        Could it have been a response to the cancer suit brought by an NYT engineer who worked with Microwaves at the Empire State Building? He won his case for monetary damages, but died soon therafter (I remember the article).
                                      • John Young
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 19, 2009
                                          The three photos we published show the south side of the building.

                                          The horns on the lattice tower face just north of east, aiming for
                                          east side of Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, or a more distant
                                          point.

                                          Other horns in the cavity below the roof face southwest toward
                                          New Jersey and beyond. (Odd note, the building can be seen
                                          in the background of the Coast Guard video of Flight 1549
                                          ditching, shot from the New Jersey shore.)

                                          Quite a few buildings as tall or taller have been built in recent
                                          decades, with a number going up in the past few years as high-rise
                                          construction came to the formerly low-rise neighborhood.

                                          Windowless high-rise buildings are unusual and there are only a
                                          few in NYC -- I know of three in Manhattan. Older telco buildings
                                          have windows, such as 140 West, 60 Hudson, 32 6th Avenue,
                                          811 8th Avenue, the latter now a server farm). There has been a
                                          fire or two in the windowless versions, and the Fire Department
                                          complains about the difficulty of fire fighting and ventilation. There
                                          has been discussion of requiring additional fire protecion and
                                          ventilation systems. Not sure where those requirements stand.

                                          These windowless structures have always been mysterious, even
                                          forbidding, to architects not privy to their rich and humming
                                          mechanical interiors.

                                          That 811 10th once had more personnel in offices than now may
                                          have been the result of this safety issue. The code requirements for
                                          a strictly mechanical facility are less demanding than those which
                                          houses people. The number of people allowed is quite small
                                          due to lack of sufficient fire protection and ventilation systems
                                          in a windowless structure.

                                          NYC Building Dept records show construction of the building was
                                          started in 1961 and it was occupied in 1965. There is nothing listed for
                                          construction of the lattice tower.

                                          Records show the building has 21 floors, and a height of almost
                                          370 feet, a floor to floor height over 17-feet, well above the average
                                          of 10-feet.

                                          The NYC Certificate of Occupancy states that all floors above
                                          the street are to be used for "telephone exchange and mechanical
                                          equipment, " and a total occupancy capacity of 3,650 persons, which
                                          seems quite high for a mechanical facility.

                                          Building records show that the building initially had 14 elevators,
                                          now reduced to 9, the change probably due to the reduction in
                                          number of occupants, or to hold down maintenance cost. A good
                                          number of them are probably for freight not passengers.

                                          All NYC stairs are required to have louvers or windows at the very top
                                          for smoke ventilation, which is supported by the comment made here.

                                          So saith a NYC architect eager to visit one of the hulks. Security
                                          so tight now the likelihood is slim.

                                          BTW what was the purpose of the 18-inch thick walls, blast protection,
                                          security, TEMPEST or what? Concrete without metal plate or mesh
                                          is useless for TEMPEST, no?
                                        • Radioman390@cs.com
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 19, 2009
                                            John Young <jya@...> wrote:

                                            >The three photos we published show the south side of the building.
                                            >
                                            >The horns on the lattice tower face just north of east, aiming for
                                            >east side of Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, or a more distant
                                            >point.
                                            >
                                            >Other horns in the cavity below the roof face southwest toward
                                            >New Jersey and beyond. (Odd note, the building can be seen
                                            >in the background of the Coast Guard video of Flight 1549
                                            >ditching, shot from the New Jersey shore.)
                                            >
                                            >Quite a few buildings as tall or taller have been built in recent
                                            >decades, with a number going up in the past few years as high-rise
                                            >construction came to the formerly low-rise neighborhood.
                                            >
                                            >Windowless high-rise buildings are unusual and there are only a
                                            >few in NYC -- I know of three in Manhattan. Older telco buildings
                                            >have windows, such as 140 West, 60 Hudson, 32 6th Avenue,
                                            >811 8th Avenue, the latter now a server farm). There has been a
                                            >fire or two in the windowless versions, and the Fire Department
                                            >complains about the difficulty of fire fighting and ventilation. There
                                            >has been discussion of requiring additional fire protecion and
                                            >ventilation systems. Not sure where those requirements stand.
                                            >
                                            >These windowless structures have always been mysterious, even
                                            >forbidding, to architects not privy to their rich and humming
                                            >mechanical interiors.
                                            >
                                            >That 811 10th once had more personnel in offices than now may
                                            >have been the result of this safety issue. The code requirements for
                                            >a strictly mechanical facility are less demanding than those which
                                            >houses people. The number of people allowed is quite small
                                            >due to lack of sufficient fire protection and ventilation systems
                                            >in a windowless structure.
                                            >
                                            >NYC Building Dept records show construction of the building was
                                            >started in 1961 and it was occupied in 1965. There is nothing listed for
                                            >construction of the lattice tower.
                                            >
                                            >Records show the building has 21 floors, and a height of almost
                                            >370 feet, a floor to floor height over 17-feet, well above the average
                                            >of 10-feet.
                                            >
                                            >The NYC Certificate of Occupancy states that all floors above
                                            >the street are to be used for "telephone exchange and mechanical
                                            >equipment, " and a total occupancy capacity of 3,650 persons, which
                                            >seems quite high for a mechanical facility.
                                            >
                                            >Building records show that the building initially had 14 elevators,
                                            >now reduced to 9, the change probably due to the reduction in
                                            >number of occupants, or to hold down maintenance cost. A good
                                            >number of them are probably for freight not passengers.
                                            >
                                            >All NYC stairs are required to have louvers or windows at the very top
                                            >for smoke ventilation, which is supported by the comment made here.
                                            >
                                            >So saith a NYC architect eager to visit one of the hulks. Security
                                            >so tight now the likelihood is slim.
                                            >
                                            >BTW what was the purpose of the 18-inch thick walls, blast protection,
                                            >security, TEMPEST or what? Concrete without metal plate or mesh
                                            >is useless for TEMPEST, no?

                                            =================================>
                                            I have been in the building a number of times maintaining a VHF radio facility.
                                            I was told that the thickness of the walls at the base is much greater that 18 inches; it was in the range of several feet, supposedly to withstand an attempt by a military tank to break through. Of course I can think of no scenario that would call for such capability.

                                            The 17 foot ceiling height seems right, but that was because there was a massive set of overhead cable trays running every which way. The floor I worked on was 85% vacant in terms of equipment floor space. It was actually cold in the room which was easily 75 x 75 feet; poorly lit too.

                                            I don't know how many sq. ft there are in the building, but current day  technology is small.

                                            It reminds me of my first trip to Siberia, to Ulan Ude which is near the Mongolia border. We went in (in 1988) to discuss the need for an additional capacity for telephone lines, basic POTS, in the city. We met at the Parliament Building and the minister of communications pointed across the plaza to a new five story building which would be donated to the joint venture partnership. As I recall the whole city of 350,000 to 400,000 had only about 25,000 existing lines, and were asked to increase it by 20 to 25%.

                                            The building was maybe 20,000 sq ft; the specs I responded to only necessitated a Harris switch about 64 cu ft in size. They were quite behind in technology. They were also quite inefficient: the staffing for the phone company was one employee for ever 4 or 5 lines. This overstaffing was widespread; we worked in Konokova at town of 100,000 (probably less) about a hundred miles from Moscow, where the local telephone company had 6,000 employees. It was there that I saw some old technology from the thirties still working, pre cross-bar (sort of the Christmas tree design where a rotor went up or down).

                                            The "owner" of the Konokova phone company who had literally stolen it from the Russian government, took me into a room, which was devastatingly loud, like the generator room at Hoover Dam. We came in from above and I'd guess the room was 100' long, and maybe 50' wide. And it was hot too. It supported 2,500 lines and had for 60+ years. The owner had previously been a Minister of Rural Communications for the whole country, and when payroll had been missed several times, he put up the money, and declared himself the owner. He had a vacation Dacha a few miles out town, and ran it from there. I stayed there several times. drinking Vodka like a sailor, and more than once his home was strafed by machine gun fire. The perimeter fence was corrugated steel, and he had a 10-car garage, plus dogs of the junkyard variety.

                                            On one occasion I was at his home three days running waiting for a ride to Moscow for flight back to the US. (Our Russian staff rebelled because I didn't want to stay with them at a resort near the President's dacha, so as punishment they dumped me there, and they went back to vacationing)  I didn't speak Russian, and nobody spoke English.

                                            But one night I wandered into the living room, where on a snowy B&W TV we had a signal from Finland. We laughed ourselves silly watching Benny Hill, despite a further language barrier in that it was tracked in Finnish. I guess slapstick comedy crosses all boundaries.

                                            Later, he and his family stayed with us at my home in Long Island.
                                          • Dennis Sandow
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 19, 2009
                                              --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, John Young <jya@...> wrote:

                                              > The three photos we published show the south side of the building.
                                              >
                                              > The horns on the lattice tower face just north of east, aiming for
                                              > east side of Manhattan, Queens, Long Island, or a more distant
                                              > point.
                                              >
                                              > Other horns in the cavity below the roof face southwest toward
                                              > New Jersey and beyond.

                                              I was on the open-steel of the microwave window cutouts in January,
                                              1963 with a transit, sighting a 40 mile path NNW (Monroe) to be sure
                                              that there were no unexpected obstructions. There were not. There
                                              are 2 decks of cavities on all 4 faces of the tower (i.e. 8 pair of
                                              horn reflectors), but I do not think they were all in use when the
                                              building opened. The lattice tower was a later add-on.

                                              > NYC Building Dept records show construction of the building was
                                              > started in 1961 and it was occupied in 1965. There is nothing listed for
                                              > construction of the lattice tower.

                                              No surprises there.

                                              > The NYC Certificate of Occupancy states that all floors above
                                              > the street are to be used for "telephone exchange and mechanical
                                              > equipment, " and a total occupancy capacity of 3,650 persons, which
                                              > seems quite high for a mechanical facility.

                                              Long Lines had about 500 people in the building in the 60's/70's -
                                              spread over 24x7. Possibly 250-300 on the day shift.

                                              NYTel may have had almost as many for their equipment in the building.

                                              "Occupancy capacity" on a Certificate of Occupancy is often the
                                              maximum allowable, calculated based on floor areas, width and number
                                              of stairwells and exit doors (i.e. limits for fire evacuation.) It
                                              may have nothing to do with the owner's intentions for staffing the
                                              building.
                                            • widebandit
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 19, 2009
                                                AT&T map 6, published January 1970, shows 811-10th as NY7 with four
                                                microwave hops: ENE to Roslyn Harbor NY, WSW to Iselin NJ, NW to
                                                Green Pond 1 NJ, and NNW to Monroe NY.
                                                BTW 32-6th is shown as NY1,2,4.
                                                The map also shows coaxial links from NY7 to: Newark 1, Newark 2,
                                                White Plains via Ny Bx, and Hempstead via NY FM.
                                                AT&T Map 6 was available on MFoster's LCXR website, which is
                                                currently down for modifications.
                                                In early photos of the bldg, the lattice superstructure is absent.
                                                The horn antenna portals of the original design were most likely
                                                dictated by exterior appearance requirements of upper West Side
                                                zoning and probably had a substantial effect on near-field antenna
                                                performance....WaW...

                                              • packy41@yahoo.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 7, 2010
                                                  Pretty sure that someone here posted a link of a massive Russian tower that had both styles of ks horns along with other copies of us designed antennas on it.
                                                • Blake Bowers
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 7, 2010
                                                    I own two MCI towers that had KS style horns,
                                                    one they were there after MCI got the towers after 1984
                                                    as part of the settlement, the other is in a metro area and
                                                    was getting too much fade on the regular dishes, so they
                                                    tried those.

                                                    Don't take your organs to heaven,
                                                    heaven knows we need them down here!

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 8, 2010
                                                      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, packy41@... wrote:

                                                      > Pretty sure that someone here posted a link of a massive Russian tower that had both styles of ks horns along with other copies of us designed antennas on it.

                                                      Be me that would...

                                                      Reprise:

                                                      http://www.tvtower.ru/56_HistoryMRC/eng/

                                                      http://www2.rfsworld.com/StayConnected/index_ie2.html?ns_head.html&http://www2.rfsworld.com/StayConnected/broadcast/broadcast_0201_1.html

                                                      Steve
                                                    • mstangelo@comcast.net
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 9, 2010
                                                        The Russian N1 moon rocket has a shape similar to the Shuhovskaya tower:

                                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket)

                                                        I guess Russian designers have a fondness for conical designs :-)

                                                        Mike N2MS