Re: re: Who has seen the film "A Blast from the Past"?

  • Dave Emery
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 1999
      On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 03:14:24AM -0400, GRAHAM TAYLOR wrote:
      > From: GRAHAM TAYLOR <TAYLOR23@...>
      >
      > I think it has already been covered on this mailgroup, but is it the case
      > that the EBS does still exist for the main purpose of attack warnings for
      > the US.

      It has just been replaced with an entirely new system called
      EAS. This uses FSK data at higher baud rates (around 1200 baud but not
      exactly 1200 baud) sent after the dual alerting tones on broadcast
      stations. Contained in the data stream are rich formats of messages in
      extended ASCII text formats that can be displayed on individual LCD
      screens such as weather radios (that use this format on a special VHF
      frequency) and computer screens and even suitably equipped TVs and PCs.
      Messages carry codes identifying what they are warning about (like
      floods and tornados) and what areas they cover (counties in most of the
      US). This allows messages to be targeted at subsets of the listening
      population and sent with different levels of priority.

      And the distribution of EAS messages in an area has been completely
      changed from the chains of stations that used to relay EBS messages.
      Stations have EAS terminals that display messages from the stations they
      monitor and other sources and allow encoding of local messages to be
      sent out on their signal.

      While this new system does the same basic things as the EBS, it
      works rather differently... and offers a whole lot of new capabilities.

      --
      Dave Emery N1PRE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
      PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2 5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18