Ballard MO mystery site

  • Blake Bowers
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2002
      Ok, during the week from hell, I managed to get by Ballard MO, and take
      pictures of the mystery site there. I met a wonderful teacher there, who
      let
      me have free run of the place, and we took numerous pictures, inside and
      outside.

      She did enlighten me on a couple of things,

      1. The "sac" style entrance, the tunnel entrance, was
      added after it became a school, and looking at the construction, that
      makes sense. There is no blast door at the end of the tunnel, either
      end. The other access into the bunker does have a blast door,
      motorized, unlike the L3i site at Polo MO.

      2. She was not sure that it was ever used. Of course, she also
      said that she thought it may have something to do with the numerous
      nuclear silos from Whiteman. I guess most of the public would think
      along those lines also.

      3. She said that a lot of the items they took out were stored in the above
      ground portion.

      4. She said she remembered no tower at any time.

      The above ground portion consisted of a much larger building than
      Polo, but much smaller than Hillsboro MO. No tower, nor was
      there any evidence either on route maps, or by cable entry, concrete
      work, etc that there was ever a tower there.

      The building also had a large loading dock, like you see for 18 wheelers
      to backup to. I could not get into every portion of the upper building,
      but I think I got into most of it. A real maze above ground. There was
      also a 3 or 4 bay metal garage next to the upper building, identical to
      those found at Windsor MO, or Golden City MO.

      Any thoughts about what this was used for? I did see cable markers in the
      area,
      is it possible that this is the elusive L5 building that was built, and then
      allegedly never used outside of Kansas City? My understanding is that the
      cable route never went further than Hillsboro, but there WAS a faciilty
      built outside of KC, and some cable was installed, but never made hot.

      I will be uploading some of the pictures to the coldwarcomms yahoo page,
      and have more upon request.