Re: [coldwarcomms] Massachusetts Bunkers and Comm Centers

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2002
      Mike,

      Welcome to the group! Glad to see you're getting into the subject.

      I'm in Virginia and am not too familiar with Massachusetts, but here are the
      hardened facilities I remember from postings on this list:

      - "The Notch", former SAC command post now owned by Amherst College
      (discussed recently).

      - FEMA Regional Center, Maynard

      - AT&T main station, Littleton

      - JFK bunker on Nantucket; I believe it's on Navy land near Tom Nevers Head
      on the SE shore, and is now owned by a hunting club. It was a very crude
      structure, sort of an earth-covered Quonset hut.

      In addition, you might want to look for Cold War-era state/local emergency
      operations centers.