link to some pictures of Lambs Knoll

  • noturbo930 <wsilva@pacbell.net>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 16, 2002
      This link has a couple of outside pictures of Lambs Knoll.
      http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/boonsboro.htm
    • pwood78 <pwood78@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
        Hi,

        > This link has a couple of outside pictures of Lambs Knoll.
        > http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/boonsboro.htm

        Speaking of Lambs Knoll what is the status of the towers
        at the top of the mountain, specificly the AT&T site? The page
        mentions the site as being on a private paved road. Does this also
        apply to the other sites on the moutain top? I know some folks have
        been up there before and I will be heading to that area during the
        Christmas/New Years holiday period. Just wondering if I need to get
        some sort of park permit of bang on some farmers door. Thanks!

        -
        Parris Wood
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
          There's a one-lane asphalt-paved access road leading to the mountaintop.
          It's open to the public, and is used often during hunting season since much
          of the mountainside is public land open for shooting. The Appalachian Trail
          crosses the access road about halfway up the mountain.

          At the top, a short driveway to the FAA's gate branches off the road. Just
          beyond that, there's a locked gate across the road blocking vehicular access
          to the summit; the AT&T tower and the fire tower are located a short
          distance beyond that gate.

          Note that there's no place to park at the top of the access road without
          blocking either the gate to the summit or the FAA's driveway (not
          recommended!). Parking is apparently allowed at the various pulloff areas
          along the road, which were provided to allow vehicles to pass.

          At least for your first visit, my suggestion would be to park at the bottom
          of the access road and walk up. It's about two miles and rather steep in
          places (especially the upper half), but you'll get a better feel for the
          facility's environment.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
            Parris:

            This is a public road on Maryland DNR land. No permits are required.
            It is a one-lane paved road that actually has a street name and sign now
            (for 911 purposes): Lamb's Knoll Road. As one crosses South Mountain,
            it runs south off of Reno Monument Road at Fox's Gap. The road is two
            miles long and has numerous turnouts that you should take liberal
            advantage of in case somebody is coming the other way. Also, we've had
            a pretty good snow and a wicked ice storm during the last week or so.
            Check the weather and since this is hunting season and Lamb's Knoll is a
            public hunting area, I'd recommend wearing an orange vest if you're
            going to be trudging around in the woods.

            Since October, FAA's 125-foot log periodic antenna tower has been
            dropped to 60 feet (almost flush with the treeline). DNR has terminated
            the lease on AT&T's 108-foot microwave tower, but they have at least six
            months to do something. Since Cellular/PCS is their market here, I
            suspect that American Tower will be back with a proposal to replace it
            with an 80 foot stealth site at the same location. We'll see.

            In the meantime, I've been working on a web page on the Lamb's Knoll
            antenna siting issues. It's at http://www.harpersferry.org Just click
            on the Lamb's Knoll section at the top. I've still got a couple of
            sections to go but there's a good deal on the page already.

            Paul Rosa

          • pwood78 <pwood78@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
              Hi Albert,

              > There's a one-lane asphalt-paved access road leading to the
              > mountaintop. It's open to the public, and is used often during
              > hunting season since much of the mountainside is public land open
              > for shooting. The Appalachian Trail crosses the access road about
              > halfway up the mountain.

              Having never really been to Maryland that was confusing about
              the split in the main road. I noticed the AT&T site (the one I'm
              interested in) is right on the Frederick/Washington County line in a
              DNR park, but one never knows.

              > Note that there's no place to park at the top of the access road
              > without blocking either the gate to the summit or the FAA's driveway
              > (not recommended!). Parking is apparently allowed at the various
              > pulloff areas along the road, which were provided to allow vehicles
              > to pass.

              Yeah, I'm planning to go to the site during the work week
              (one of two days allocated to Maryland, weather permitting) and that
              definately increases the odds of an FAA tech (do these people exist?)
              servicing the site. Not a good way to make friends. However, if the
              towers are a stones throw away from the summit gate, maybe it wont
              hurt. Afterall I won't be there long (probably 10 minute max) and I
              will be within shouting/horn range if anyone does need me to move.

              > At least for your first visit, my suggestion would be to park at
              the
              > bottom of the access road and walk up. It's about two miles and
              > rather steep in places (especially the upper half), but you'll get a
              > better feel for the facility's environment.

              But do I have to! =] Is parking at the base of the access road
              a wise idea? I hated to be towed, robbed or who knows what. However,
              thats probably a go. Just alot an hour round trip and probably saves
              me the hassle of fretting of trying to make a three point turn up
              there. Seriously, it sounds like the Buckingham troposcatter was less
              of a hassle (after getting to the cell tower atleast!).

              -
              Parris Wood
            • pwood78 <pwood78@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
                Hi Paul,

                Just the person I was hoping to hear from.

                > This is a public road on Maryland DNR land. No permits are
                > required. It is a one-lane paved road that actually has a street
                > name and sign now (for 911 purposes): Lamb's Knoll Road. As one
                > crosses South Mountain, it runs south off of Reno Monument Road at
                > Fox's Gap. The road is two miles long and has numerous turnouts
                > that you should take liberal advantage of in case somebody is coming
                > the other way. Also, we've had a pretty good snow and a wicked ice
                > storm during the last week or so. Check the weather and since this
                > is hunting season and Lamb's Knoll is a public hunting area, I'd
                > recommend wearing an orange vest if you're going to be trudging
                > around in the woods.

                Outstanding. That 911 thing is so strange. I've found old
                road signs in the middle of nowhere on roads no one lived on (but
                the tower) and probably inaccessable to all but high clearance
                vehicals. Actually the pulls offs sound very nice, most of the
                mountain top access roads I have been on in Virginia are designed with
                the thought that ``hopefully two vehicals will not be headed in
                opposite directions at the same time''! I have totaly forgot the
                weather in that area. Down here we got cold rain (As always) and now
                it is just plain cold. I'll have to pick up one of those when I grab
                supplies for my trip today. I didn't even think about that since I
                will be on the access roads and doing so during the work week. Albert
                has described it as steet in places and while my truck is high
                clearance it is not 4WD. A post it will go into my topo map book about
                the weather (also heading to Catoctin Mountain that day).

                > Since October, FAA's 125-foot log periodic antenna tower has been
                > dropped to 60 feet (almost flush with the treeline). DNR has
                > terminated the lease on AT&T's 108-foot microwave tower, but they
                > have at least six months to do something. Since Cellular/PCS is
                > their market here, I suspect that American Tower will be back with a
                > proposal to replace it with an 80 foot stealth site at the same
                > location. We'll see.

                Big problem is doesn't AT&T still need those point to point
                microwave shots =] However, there is sadly a deadline on the tower
                site. I'm not to worried about the FAA site whatever its condition is.
                It's a shame I couldn't just pick up a key at the local American Tower
                office =]

                > In the meantime, I've been working on a web page on the Lamb's Knoll
                > antenna siting issues. It's at http://www.harpersferry.org Just
                > click on the Lamb's Knoll section at the top. I've still got a
                > couple of sections to go but there's a good deal on the page
                > already.

                Thanks for the links. It looks like the only hard part is
                parking and hoofing it to the tower. Assuming I don't run afoul of the
                guys in blue at the water tank!

                -
                Parris Wood
              • Paul Rosa
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
                  Parris:

                  You can drive all the way up to the tower site gates, turn around, and
                  go 50 yards to the first turnout and park there (if it's not already
                  taken by hunters). Nobody will bother your car. As for a tech being
                  present at the FAA site, there's a whole workforce there every day.
                  Techs at the AT&T and state tower sites are infrequent, though I have
                  run into them.

                  Paul Rosa

                • pwood78 <pwood78@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
                    Hello,

                    > You can drive all the way up to the tower site gates, turn around,
                    > and go 50 yards to the first turnout and park there (if it's not
                    > already taken by hunters). Nobody will bother your car. As for a
                    > tech being present at the FAA site, there's a whole workforce there
                    > every day. Techs at the AT&T and state tower sites are infrequent,
                    > though I have run into them.

                    Thanks for the insight Paul. That would be the ideal solution
                    but that all depends on the weather and as you had mentioned the
                    hunters. I'll probably just walk the two miles. That must be quite
                    an FAA facility for it to be manned. Their remote radar sites,
                    VORs and mic sites never seem to be visited. As my comment indicated
                    I think I've seen one of them in the wild in three years. As for the
                    AT&T people I suspect I'll run into a Dobson tech before them. Down
                    here Alltel and Sprint PCS are racing between sites getting in those
                    end of year changes made before the network is frozen for the new year
                    transition. Thanks again, I think the biggest problem is going to be
                    the weather. NOAA wisely doesn't predict that far into the future
                    and the weather channel is operating under a doom and gloom scenario.

                    -
                    Parris Wood