Re: WECO Distributing House

  • ozob99 <ozob99@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2002
      --- In coldwarcomms@yahoogroups.com, "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@t...>
      wrote:
      > Something I have noticed in a number of the larger stations, such as
      Windsor MO, and a site in IL, is
      > that there were rooms labeled "western Electric Room" and normally
      they were full of
      > spare microwave cards, maintenance manuals for stations up and down
      the line, etc.

      Weco installers usually had a storage/assembly area assigned in larger
      offices,where ongoing additions/removals were common. Equipment was in
      their custody(although owned by AT&T) until it was installed &
      accepted by AT&T Operations.Some office floor plans showed it as
      "Western Electric erection area" which was always good for some
      laughs.

    • Blake Bowers
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 7, 2002
        Thanks!

        As long as we are on the bigger sites, two questions.

        Any idea why Windsor MO, and Garden City were
        such large buildings? 19k sq feet, 2 stories, one underground
        with the fallout shelter. Garden City was a junction,
        but there were other junctions way smaller.

        70's or maybe late 60's construction.

        Mascoutah IL, Lacygne KS Kingdom City MO, Aulville MO
        were larger sites, but I believe cable sites. Not really bunkers,
        but brick and concrete buildings with windows. Older, 40's or 50's
        construction. Any idea what type of cable systems these were
        for, and does anyone have any web sites up with research on
        those systems? They were not L4.

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2002
          wrote:
          > Thanks!
          >
          > As long as we are on the bigger sites, two questions.
          >
          > Any idea why Windsor MO, and Garden City were
          > such large buildings? 19k sq feet, 2 stories, one underground
          > with the fallout shelter. Garden City was a junction,
          > but there were other junctions way smaller.

          I'm not familiar with Windsor,& the only Garden City i know about is
          VA; in general smaller junctions were "IF" connected(no terminal LMX)
          routes and unattended; whereas the junction buildings with terminal
          equipment were larger due to the extra bays & bigger power plant,
          space for personnel & storage.Garden City,VA & Aylett,VA are 2
          examples of large or major junctions;in addition Garden City,VA had
          private line testboards & voice toll terminal equipment.

          > Mascoutah IL, Lacygne KS Kingdom City MO, Aulville MO
          > were larger sites, but I believe cable sites. Not really bunkers,
          > but brick and concrete buildings with windows. Older, 40's or 50's
          > construction. Any idea what type of cable systems these were
          > for, and does anyone have any web sites up with research on
          > those systems? They were not L4.

          Again i can only guess from the description these were cable repeater
          stations orginally with voice terminal, and later K carrier, &
          sometimes N CXR equipment,and occasionally including L1/3 Main
          station functionality.They had to be large in the 40's thru the 60's
          because the tube type equipment was bulky and required lots of power
          plant, as well as accomodating the fairly large work force to maintain
          it all;often including outside plant route maintenance.

          I've never seen a page on these facilities other than on this list.

          Charlottesville 1,VA & Mckenney,VA(mentioned in the archives) are good
          examples of this kind of late 30's & 40's brick construction repeater
          stations.