Re: [coldwarcomms] Ptech

  • siriusss@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
      In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:45:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      albertjlafrance@... writes:

      > But looking at their "About US" and "Products" pages, I can't even figure
      > out just what their software really does!

      I just noticed the clients of ptech were the FBI, NATO, the IRS, the Navy and
      the Air Force. Raytheon was also one of their client. They do (did?) object
      oriented software? I get the idea it was the facial recognition software that
      everyone is screaming about but I could be wrong. It seems they were working
      on cognitive software based on behavioral response. But again I could be
      wrong...

      Price Waterhouse ????!!! was one of their customers???? What does this have
      to do with Al Qaeda and some guy in a tent with an AK 47? Maybe I am just
      confused

    • Jim Burks
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002

        And siriuss wrote:
        > Price Waterhouse ????!!! was one of their customers????
        > What does this have > to do with Al Qaeda and some guy
        > in a tent with an AK 47? Maybe I am just confused

        I took a look at the www.ptechinc.com website, and read the
        NY Times article at
        <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/national/07RAID.html?ex=1039842000&en
        =7ac4e187a7bfd3a8&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>.

        If Al-Queda is able to successfully use this software, I'm *very
        afraid*.
        On the other hand, if they're trying to use it to model their
        organization,
        I think they will fail miserably and get distracted with technology and
        organization structure, titles and become a failed bureaucracy.

        The software is for organizational modeling. The vendor would cringe,
        but think of it as Microsoft Visio with an interesting set of templates.
        It allows you to document a business process model. It's not actually
        used to build other software. In 'Dilbert speak' it's software for
        implementing internal personnel reorganizations faster.

        That's why PWC and the government bureaus are clients - that's what
        they LIVE for!

        The fear, described poorly in the NYT article, by a writer not
        completely familiar with the concepts, is that someone (developer)
        in the software company might have put virus code, Trojan code,
        etc. into a software application that would be installed inside
        the firewall at FBI, et. al. by less technical, senior management
        personnel, who might have broad authority to computer system
        access. That's the frightening aspect.

        On the other hand, it may just be another investment by a
        Saudi sheik looking for investment opportunities to invest
        his cash. Or a way to funnel cash to terrorist confederates
        as 'salary'.

        Either way, this spotlight is probably going to kill the
        small company. I hope the people who work there have
        the ultimate backup plan: an offsite resume.

        Jim Burks