Ptech

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
      For those interested in today's news about the possible terrorist
      involvement with the software firm Ptech, the company's web site is
      http://www.ptechinc.com/ .

      But looking at their "About US" and "Products" pages, I can't even figure
      out just what their software really does!

      Albert
    • siriusss@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2002
        In a message dated 12/6/2002 6:45:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        albertjlafrance@... writes:

        > But looking at their "About US" and "Products" pages, I can't even figure
        > out just what their software really does!

        I just noticed the clients of ptech were the FBI, NATO, the IRS, the Navy and
        the Air Force. Raytheon was also one of their client. They do (did?) object
        oriented software? I get the idea it was the facial recognition software that
        everyone is screaming about but I could be wrong. It seems they were working
        on cognitive software based on behavioral response. But again I could be
        wrong...

        Price Waterhouse ????!!! was one of their customers???? What does this have
        to do with Al Qaeda and some guy in a tent with an AK 47? Maybe I am just
        confused

      • Jim Burks
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2002

          And siriuss wrote:
          > Price Waterhouse ????!!! was one of their customers????
          > What does this have > to do with Al Qaeda and some guy
          > in a tent with an AK 47? Maybe I am just confused

          I took a look at the www.ptechinc.com website, and read the
          NY Times article at
          <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/07/national/07RAID.html?ex=1039842000&en
          =7ac4e187a7bfd3a8&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE>.

          If Al-Queda is able to successfully use this software, I'm *very
          afraid*.
          On the other hand, if they're trying to use it to model their
          organization,
          I think they will fail miserably and get distracted with technology and
          organization structure, titles and become a failed bureaucracy.

          The software is for organizational modeling. The vendor would cringe,
          but think of it as Microsoft Visio with an interesting set of templates.
          It allows you to document a business process model. It's not actually
          used to build other software. In 'Dilbert speak' it's software for
          implementing internal personnel reorganizations faster.

          That's why PWC and the government bureaus are clients - that's what
          they LIVE for!

          The fear, described poorly in the NYT article, by a writer not
          completely familiar with the concepts, is that someone (developer)
          in the software company might have put virus code, Trojan code,
          etc. into a software application that would be installed inside
          the firewall at FBI, et. al. by less technical, senior management
          personnel, who might have broad authority to computer system
          access. That's the frightening aspect.

          On the other hand, it may just be another investment by a
          Saudi sheik looking for investment opportunities to invest
          his cash. Or a way to funnel cash to terrorist confederates
          as 'salary'.

          Either way, this spotlight is probably going to kill the
          small company. I hope the people who work there have
          the ultimate backup plan: an offsite resume.

          Jim Burks